Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

(Untitled)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: (Untitled)

• Options
    imagenoahchristopher:

Our son is 11 1/2 months and has been doing the same thing for a month or two as well.  He's definitely making his likes and dislikes known for sure.  The carseat is sometimes an issue when we first put him in.  He gets fussy being strapped in and I stay calm and explain what I'm doing and where we're going.  Pretty matter of factly.

I'm doing that with other things too.  If he starts to fuss once I remove him from something I just explain in a few words (same ones each time) stay calm, and redirect him to something else usually.  He will only usually fuss right upfront but then stops once he's onto something else.

One thing he loves to do is put rocks in his mouth in the backyard.  This started about two months ago.  At first I'd rush over and grab the rock out and say no rocks in the mouth.  Now he's almost to 100% listening to me when we're outside and he picks up a rock.  I'll wait and watch him and if he starts to put it in I say the no rocks in the mouth mantra and he looks up at me and hands me the rock.  Or he'll put it back down. He's very proud of himself it seems like.  It's taken about 1000 repetitions of this and much vigilance, but he's getting it.  Same thing with the dog's water bowl, and lamp cords.

Ahh Good times.

I pretty much take the same approach. N started little fits around 9 months. She would get hysterical when I'd take her toothbrush. I would tell her "No. We're done in the bathroom now. It's time to do something else." I've also taught her "hand that to Momma" and "Not for Natalie." When I say these things she usually looks me in the eye and shakes her head no. She is very proud of her self for listening. I always tell her how proud I am of her when she listens and what a good girl she is. She still gets aggravated from time to time and I tell her "I know you're feeling upset you can't play with mommy's hair brush but we can find something else to play with." She usually stops whining  with in a few seconds.

• Options
     When LO really gets into a hissy, I just walk away (after first ensuring he has enough space to safely do so).  I only do this when redirecting doesn't work... and only until he calms down- once he stops throwing himself around, I go get him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"