December 2012 Moms

Things that are freaking me out.

*Choosing a mattress. Seriously, my biggest worry right now.. lol. How the fluck do you decide what to get?! Every one you look at has some negative and some good reviews. What if I end up hating the decision I made?!

*Breastfeeding. I am terrified that breastfeeding won't work out for me. I understand that it wouldn't be the end of the world - but it's something that I'm really, really looking foward to doing.

*Childbirth (of course). I would absoutely love to try to have a natural childbirth but I'm worried that I'm getting my hopes up and that won't really happen. Again, not the biggest deal in the world.. just something that I want.

Eh, there's probably more.. but those 3 things have all been on my mind today!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Things that are freaking me out.

• The mattress thing surprised me. I wasn't expecting it to be as hard a decision as it was.

Now that we bought it, I have to stay away from mattress posts, because it makes me second guess myself. Grrrr.

2/12: 100 mg Clomid + Bravelle last minute+ back to back IUI. BFN
    3/12 150mg Clomid + B2B IUI =BFP!! TWINS!
    Vanishing twin at week 6
    Tater-tot born January 3rd 2013

2 IUI's in 2016- BFN
    3 IUI's in 2017- BFN
    8/17 IUI BFP!!!!!!!!
  • I'm right there with you about the mattress. I don't understand how it can possibly be so difficult, but it really is.

As far as breastfeeding, I'm going in with the mentality that I will do everything I can to make it work, but it's more than OK if it doesn't. I'm also really looking forward to it though, so I know that there will be some disappointment is it doesn't work out. I get irritated when people ask me if I plan to breastfeed, I say "yes, I'm going to try." then they proceed to tell me I'll never be able to with twins. Really, so how do other mother's of twins do it then? Just another thing to add to the list of dumb comments people say to pregnant women.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Breastfeeding has been on my mind since day one! I'm afraid it won't work out for me because I have (maybe TMI) small nipples. lol My ob said I need to have my boyfriend "pop" them out but he doesn't want to help :(

PS: It's funny because he's the one that WANTS

Lilypie Maternity tickers pregnancy calendar
  • Breastfeeding has been on my mind since day one! I'm afraid it won't work out for me because I have (maybe TMI) small nipples. lol My ob said I need to have my boyfriend "pop" them out but he doesn't want to help :(

PS: It's funny because he's the one that really wants me to breastfeed.

Lilypie Maternity tickers pregnancy calendar
  • Mattress have been freaking me out! My SIL told me about an article she read about a country in Europe that doesn't have the chemicals in/on their mattresses and there are very few (or no) cases of SIDS. So we returned our cheap mattress we bought before and we are getting this one, it was in Sept issue of BabyTalk

https://www.target.com/p/naturepedic-organic-cotton-lightweight-crib-mattress/-/A-13723684

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelmb5109:

Mattress have been freaking me out! My SIL told me about an article she read about a country in Europe that doesn't have the chemicals in/on their mattresses and there are very few (or no) cases of SIDS. So we returned our cheap mattress we bought before and we are getting this one, it was in Sept issue of BabyTalk

https://www.target.com/p/naturepedic-organic-cotton-lightweight-crib-mattress/-/A-13723684

Wish I could get this mattress, but I need 2. Just not in our budget! 

• *Choosing a mattress. I relied heavily on Baby Bargains for the "big" or more expensive decisions.  I chose the Colgate III foam mattress because it is lightweight, and hypoallergenic, so easy to change and clean.  I'm short, so I needed something that was easy to get in and out of the crib.  With the amount of times I've changed it in recent months (potty training), I thank myself every time I change it because it is so lightweight.

*Breastfeeding. All you can do is be determined and try your best and get help if you need it.  LC's are great, and there are many resources available.  Oh, and commit to trying it for at least a month to 6 weeks. For me, the first month was all about "training" each other (me and baby) how to do it.  All of a sudden around 1 month, he suddenly became very, very efficient at bf-ing.  He went from taking an hour per feeding to taking 20 minutes.  It was such a startling change that I asked the pedi, and she said that is completely normal and expected, that once baby gets the hang of it, things just go a lot faster.

Of course, if your supply is low or baby is having latch issues and it's affecting weight gain, supplement if need be and don't feel bad about it, but if you really want it, stick to it. 

*Childbirth (of course).   Educate yourself on the possibilities, and be prepared for anything to happen at any time.  Go in with the goal of natural, but if something happens along the way and that can't happen, then don't beat yourself up too much.  The goal is a healthy baby and healthy mama, but there is no harm whatsoever in going for natural if that's what you want, but try not to have your heart so set that if anything changes you harass yourself for years about it, KWIM?

If you have any questions, ask anything you want.  And by the way, we need to do some GTKY stuff...I feel like we're a bit behind ;o)

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • DH could barely handle being in the room while I got a pap smear at my first OB appt. At this point, I'm freaking out that he's going to puke and/or pass out while I'm giving birth.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• I feel you, girl. I have not chosen a mattress yet. I'm putting it off until I buy a crib. I am nervous about breastfeeding. I hope it works out for us, but you have the right mentality. It wouldn't be the end of the world. My good friend suggested taking a breastfeeding class before giving birth. She did not take one before her first and she had to quit after about 3 weeks. She took one a couple of months ago before her second, and it's going 100 times better for her! As for the natural birth thing, I am pretty scared of labor myself. I am not as tough as you are, so I plan on an epidural.

I think it's normal for us to be scared. It's a good sign that we're looking ahead and preparing ourselves for what's to come!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagelmb5109:

Mattress have been freaking me out! My SIL told me about an article she read about a country in Europe that doesn't have the chemicals in/on their mattresses and there are very few (or no) cases of SIDS. So we returned our cheap mattress we bought before and we are getting this one, it was in Sept issue of BabyTalk

We got this in the 2 sided style  

• The mattress issue I cannot really give you any good advice on because MIL purchased ours, so I never really thought about it. However, now that I have been through labor and breast feeding, I can comment from my own experience. I was terrified, as well of not being able to have a natural birth, but was able to do it. I read a few books to help me get into the mindset. Keep your focus and you can do it, as long as there are no unforeseen obstacles which would otherwise prevent it from happening. As for the breast feeding, I was so anxious that I would not be able to do that, too, but it actually worked out for DD for a year. Just do whatever you can to educate yourself so you are prepared to handle any obstacles that may arise. All you can do is try and see if it something you can manage. Good luck and don't stress too much. As one of the previous posters said, the most important thing in the end is that your baby is happy and healthy.
  • Now I feel bad, like maybe I'm not freaking out enough over purchasing a mattress? I haven't started looking yet, but I've always figured it wouldn't be near as agonizing as picking a crib was for me. Baby doesn't need a Tempur-pedic mattress, he's probably going to sleep just fine on anything I buy him. I've always considered mattress buying to be one of the less stressful decisions.

As far as breastfeeding goes, I share this concern with you, but it's not so much "what if it doesn't work out", it's more "how am I gonna do this when I go back to work". I work 12 hour days and somedays I'm so busy I barely get a break for lunch - how am I going to take breaks long enough during the day to pump?!

I'd also like to go natural for childbirth, but I'm keeping my options wide open - I have no idea what to expect with labor. I have no idea what the pain is like. I have a high tolerance, but I don't want to be so stressed out from the pain that labor can't progress as quickly as it might if I were relaxed and mostly pain free. So it's going to be an in-the-moment thing. And the only decision I've made ahead of time is I'm not going to beat myself up for whatever decision I make while I'm there. 

• imageMeaganG11:

Now I feel bad, like maybe I'm not freaking out enough over purchasing a mattress? I haven't started looking yet, but I've always figured it wouldn't be near as agonizing as picking a crib was for me. Baby doesn't need a Tempur-pedic mattress, he's probably going to sleep just fine on anything I buy him. I

The problem isn't the baby sleeping 'fine.' It's the risk of SIDS. Mattress has to be extremely firm, and fit exactly perfectly in the crib to reduce the risk of SIDS. Hence why it causes so much stress. You don't want to spend a fortune, but you don't want to worry the mattress is too soft/not the right size, etc.

Vanishing twin at week 6

2 IUI's in 2016- BFN
    3 IUI's in 2017- BFN
    8/17 IUI BFP!!!!!!!!
  • imageJenniatONU:

The problem isn't the baby sleeping 'fine.' It's the risk of SIDS. Mattress has to be extremely firm, and fit exactly perfectly in the crib to reduce the risk of SIDS. Hence why it causes so much stress. You don't want to spend a fortune, but you don't want to worry the mattress is too soft/not the right size, etc.

Right. But it's not difficult to find a very firm mattress, or one that fits exactly in the crib, and is no more than 6 inches high. Unless I'm oversimplifying?

• imageMeaganG11:
    imageJenniatONU:

Right. But it's not difficult to find a very firm mattress, or one that fits exactly in the crib, and is no more than 6 inches high. Unless I'm oversimplifying?

No, not really. I'm just saying that it's more like buying a carseat than buying say, a swing. People want the safest/best rated item, because they don't want to worry about making a mistake purchase.

It just sounded like your post was saying it's not that important to research mattress's because baby will sleep no matter what. That's why I was clarifying exactly why people are making a big deal out of picking the perfect/safest/best mattress they can find.  Sids is scary, so people try to eliminate as best they can. Does that mean a mattress made out of only organic material? A dual sided mattress to flip when they are a toddler? Plastic covered, or fabric covered? One with metal coils on the inside, or something else?

It's a bunch of personal choices, but for some, they want to find something that the feel is the 'best' aka safest choice, and not worry that they made a huge error. 

Vanishing twin at week 6

2 IUI's in 2016- BFN
    3 IUI's in 2017- BFN
    8/17 IUI BFP!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"