Working Moms
Options

Unemployed mommy-to-be

Hello out there -

Any unemployed mommies-to-be out there? Any anxiety on being unemployed? Any insight would be great. I sometimes get down on myself due to my unemployment and it kills me that I am limited to searching for full time work (I'm 17 weeks along) and how hard it is to land a job at the moment. Am I the only one that feels this way? 

Re: Unemployed mommy-to-be

• Options

I've been in your shoes!! I was terminated when I told them I was expecting. Long story. So that was around 12 weeks. I was on unemployment for 6 months before I got my new job. I literally went to the interview a week before I gave birth. They waited for me to be ready before I started, so I really had to get mentally ready, and quick!

Everyone told me to go to interviews and make sure to tell them about being pg, in case it's not obvious, etc. I found that to be horrible advice. I went to interviews, and if they notice, that's fine, if not, whatever. I just made sure to put emphasis on long term. I would tell them things like that I had been at the last company for 7 years, and since I moved to this state I've been looking for something similar. They are allowed to ask (especially if they are wanting to offer you a position) if you will need any time off in the near future. Depending on the timing, you may be able to tell them you will not need any in the first 90 days, or if it's close to your due date, I would tell them that you will need to take time off, but plan on returning to work as soon as the doctor clears you to do so. This tells them that you do not plan to be one of those moms that takes 6 months off, leaving them stranded. They obviously need you, or they would not be hiring. 

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Since you are not employed, make sure to apply for everything you could possibly do. I looked for jobs for at least one hour every day, and it still took me 6 months. It is possible, but it takes a lot of hard work to get there. You can do it!

For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"