June 2011 Moms
Options

Fig question

I found a great deal on a large box of figs and found that dd loves them in her yogurt or oatmeal. Almost all of the figs in the box were completely ripe.

So my question is how to "preserve" the figs for future use. Can I freeze them whole? Mash and freeze them? Cook and freeze them? any suggestions would be appreciated!
I'll also add that dd does not like to eat them whole for some reason. I have to mash them and put them in something and then she loves them. Maybe it's the texture.

Re: Fig question

• Options

Will she eat them sliced? We went through an insane amount of fresh figs just handing them to her sliced when a neighbor's tree bloomed. (she didn't like the 'bursting' from eating them whole, but if they were presliced she jammed them in as fast as she could!)

I don't think they'd freeze well, you'd have to go through the process to cook/can them. But that always make me sad because cooked/syrupy figs are not the same as beautiful fresh ones!

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    She didn't seem to like them sliced either. She just played with them and tried to paint them in her tray almost. I tried feeding them to her on a fork but she would spit them out. Thanks for the reply!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would probably quarter them and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Once they're all the way frozen, I'd transfer them to a freezer bag. That way you can get out however many you need at the time, defrost and smash them up. 

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Options
    does she like smoothies? you could always throw them in a smoothie?
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"