January 2012 Moms
Options

DH not on board, do I do it anyway?

Sorry it's CD related again. I spoke to DH about wanting to give it a try and he's not too excited about it and would rather not do it. He said that yes, it's a great way to save some $$ but that it's not THAT big of a difference either and that it adds more inconvenience that anything else.

We are a team and talk things over and don't go doing something if the other one isn't on board but I feel like I need to give this a try and either see that it's not for me, or have him see how great it is. We've never done it, so I feel like we can't make the decision based on speculation.

So do I go and buy a few anyway and just give it a try? I also don't like his argument of doing extra laundry and how I sometimes can't keep up with it now. A-if you don't do it you don't have the right to say anything about it and B-why don't you help out a bit more???

I don't want to just disregard his opinion but I want to do this!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DH not on board, do I do it anyway?

• Options

We went through a similar discussion at my house. Ultimately, I got real with myself about just how helpful H would be with something that he said he didn't want to do in the first place -- not too helpful. By the way, I'm not saying that he is right or wrong for not helping (as I speculate would happen) with something that he said upfront that he was againt doing. I had to decide if it was something that I could tackle on my own and ultimately, I decided that it just wasn't going to work. I guess where I'm going with this is that I don't think it hurts to try it if it is very important to you, but, if you end up single handedly taking on all of the extra responsibilities associated with it, I don't think it is fair to be upset or surprised by it.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• Options
    imageBrit's Luna154:

We went through a similar discussion at my house. Ultimately, I got real with myself about just how helpful H would be with something that he said he didn't want to do in the first place -- not too helpful. By the way, I'm not saying that he is right or wrong for not helping (as I speculate would happen) with something that he said upfront that he was againt doing. I had to decide if it was something that I could tackle on my own and ultimately, I decided that it just wasn't going to work. I guess where I'm going with this is that I don't think it hurts to try it if it is very important to you, but, if you end up single handedly taking on all of the extra responsibilities associated with it, I don't think it is fair to be upset or surprised by it.

Yes 

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageBrit's Luna154:

Oh I didn't mean to say that I would ask him to help with the diapers. It was more of a comment that he's deciding for ME if it's too much work and he was so annoyed by it as if it was going to be a burden on him. I NEVER said that he'd have to do the laundry if we ended up CDing. I was trying to say that if it's something you don't every do then you shouldn't be saying it's not doable. And he didn't say it in a way "I don't want you working even more". I hope I"m explaining this correctly.

So no, I'm not upset or surprised if he didn't do any of it. I'm more upset that he's dismissing something he won't be dealing with anyway and he doesn't know how it would work anyway.. Know what I mean?

I just feel like I'd like to give it a try. And who knows maybe it will be too much to handle and not the right thing for us....

• Options
    imagebigbear:
    imageBrit's Luna154:

Oh I didn't mean to say that I would ask him to help with the diapers. It was more of a comment that he's deciding for ME if it's too much work and he was so annoyed by it as if it was going to be a burden on him. I NEVER said that he'd have to do the laundry if we ended up CDing. I was trying to say that if it's something you don't every do then you shouldn't be saying it's not doable. And he didn't say it in a way "I don't want you working even more". I hope I"m explaining this correctly.

So no, I'm not upset or surprised if he didn't do any of it. I'm more upset that he's dismissing something he won't be dealing with anyway and he doesn't know how it would work anyway.. Know what I mean?

I just feel like I'd like to give it a try. And who knows maybe it will be too much to handle and not the right thing for us....

I hear you. That said...

H and I had a discussion about pet ducks that was pretty much the complete opposite of the CDs.

H: "Let's buy thirty baby ducks to raise!"
    BL: "But I don't feel like taking care of ducks. The dog and DD are enough!"
    H: "You don't have to do anything. I'll take care of them."
    BL: "Whatever dude. Get your ducks."

Two weeks later...
    H: "I'm going on a business trip for two weeks. This is what you need to do to take care of the ducks..."

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• Options
    imageBrit's Luna154:
    imagebigbear:
    imageBrit's Luna154:

I hear you. That said...

H and I had a discussion about pet ducks that was pretty much the complete opposite of the CDs.

H: "Let's buy thirty baby ducks to raise!"
    BL: "But I don't feel like taking care of ducks. The dog and DD are enough!"
    H: "You don't have to do anything. I'll take care of them."
    BL: "Whatever dude. Get your ducks."

Two weeks later...
    H: "I'm going on a business trip for two weeks. This is what you need to do to take care of the ducks..."

LMAO!!!! oohhh nooooo!!

• Options
    I thought about doing CD and did a lot of research. I talked to my DH and he didn't really care one way or the other but what came down to it was changing of the diapers. DH will change diapers for me if I ask but he did not like the idea of changing CD especially as they got older having to spray the poop off and such. So for me, I wanted the help more. Just my 2 cents ....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerVisit my Etsy shop for adorable baby bows: Rachelle's Baby Boutique
  • Options

imagelilnightmusic:
    Here's what I would do.  Tell him (yes tell, don't ask) you want to do the Jillian's drawers trial for a month just to see how it goes.  Do what you need to do, figure out what you like and then talk to him about making a switch.  You might need to do it slowly.  In my house I do 95% of the diapering anyway, and while DH was on board for money reasons he was a little grossed out.  7 months in and he is now procloth.

Yeah... I just want to give it a try. And the changing isn't a big deal for him at all. I'm lucky that he's not grossed out by puke or poop or anything like that.

• Options
    I definately say get a few to try out.  A trial is a great idea because you get to try all the major types/brands.  The great thing about it is that you can keep what you like and send back (for a store credit) the ones you didn't care for.  Tell DH he doesn't have to use the cloth if he doesn't want to.  If he's anything like mine, he'll be on board as soon as he sees them in action.  If you like them and he hasn't warmed up to them, it's perfectly alright to CD part time.  You can use the CDs, and he can use whatever he's comfortable with, even disposables.  Either way, you're still saving the planet from whatever disposables you aren't using.
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    Since I SAH, I didn't give DH much of a choice (I knew he wouldn't be changing many). We were gifted several packs of disposables (+ what the hospital sent home). When I started using CDs, he had the option of changing DS back into a sposie the few times he changed him (as in I didn't 'make' him use a CD since we had the disposables on hand). About three changes in (DS was a few weeks old by then, so he really didn't change many diapers!), I caught him putting DS in a CD... I guess he finally figured why not! I also told him I would take care of all the poopy dipes (once DS started solids) and all the washing. He eventually washed out poopy ones... It wasn't too big of a deal for him when it was all said and done! So, you could always have some disposable on hand for your DH. You'd still save some money!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagelilnightmusic:
    Here's what I would do.  Tell him (yes tell, don't ask) you want to do the Jillian's drawers trial for a month just to see how it goes.  Do what you need to do, figure out what you like and then talk to him about making a switch.  You might need to do it slowly.  In my house I do 95% of the diapering anyway, and while DH was on board for money reasons he was a little grossed out.  7 months in and he is now procloth.

Yes, do this. 

Anniversary

• Options

imagelilnightmusic:

I think doing a trial makes a lot more sense than buying diapers.  It's also more fair to your H, since you're not sinking a huge amount of money in a trial (especially if you want to do pocket diapers or AIOs that can cost $15-$20 per diaper).  Then you can try it and see how it works for you.  Your H might be more willing to switch when he sees how much nicer they are to use - something that's often not discussed when considering the switch.  We have much less stink and much fewer blowouts when using cloth!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

The 7-part Youtube Series "Cloth Diapering 101" is what convinced my DH, who felt the same way.

That being said, we did end up stopping CDing after 5 months because my own research showed that it was not actually environmentally sound at all!  This was the main reason I wanted to do it, not cost.  Of course, this is mostly due to my inefficient laundry practices (several hot water washes due to my neuroses, dryer loads, all that energy really adds up)... If that is your primary concern as well it is something to keep in mind =)   A service may cost $ but is actually the best in terms of carbon footprint.

• Options

I'd be interested to know where you got your info about cloth diapering being as environmentally unfriendly as disposables.  I think using a few extra loads of washing isn't as bad as putting chemical filled disposables to rot for a couple hundred years.  The dryer does use more energy than the washer, but if you're concerned about the environment, line drying is a great alternative.  Sure, there are resources used to make the cloth diapers, but I'd imagine it's a lot less than what's used to make the thousands of disposables generally used per baby.  Especially since cloth diapers can be resold and used for another baby.

I'm sure you've got sound reasons for not cloth diapering anymore, but I don't buy the argument that they are just as environmentally unsound as disposables.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    It depends on how not on board. ;)  I will say this - I CD'd my first DS, but DH was not on board with CD'ing DD.  We tried it anyway.  Actually twice.  I ended up selling and rebuying diapers, and then giving up.  Here's why - it wasn't even so much the work of doing the laundry, etc.  It was having to deal with the complaining that I couldn't handle.  ;)  However, DH stays at home with DD, so I felt like if he wasn't thrilled with it or comfortable with it, he should have the choice.  If roles were reversed, and I was home, that's what I would want.  HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"