3rd Trimester

Unpasteurized juice?

Just went to panera today and grabbed their orange juice in a hurry. Since they come in the cups, I'm assuming it's fresh squeezed and not pasteurized. Is there really a big deal with drinking freshly squeezed juice? 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Unpasteurized juice?

• It's just the bacteria that they worry about.  Chances are you'll be fine but I'd still avoid it in the same way you'd avoid unpasturized cheeses, sushi and deli meats.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't worry about it.

But then again, my doc is in the "everything in moderation" camp and I've eaten sushi, lunchmeat and cheese during this whole pregnancy.  If you're really worried, call Panera and ask--I wouldn't think that they're squeezing their own oranges, but you never know!

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Loading the player...
  • The risk should be no different than the risk of eating a fresh orange.

However, unless they are advertising it as "freshly squeezed" it is probably just regular pasteurized orange juice. Even the regular OJ at McDonalds comes in a clear cup. I think even milk comes in a clear cup like that at Panera.

• imageMarisaKathleen:

I wouldn't worry about it.

But then again, my doc is in the "everything in moderation" camp and I've eaten sushi, lunchmeat and cheese during this whole pregnancy.  If you're really worried, call Panera and ask--I wouldn't think that they're squeezing their own oranges, but you never know!

I don't get the 'eating in moderation' with those things that we are told to avoid because of bacteria/food poisoning and not because of the food itself (like caffeine, cooked fish that have high levels of mercury...these I can see you eating in moderation since they're avoided for completely different reasons).  with things like sushi, unpasteurized foods, unheated lunch meats, one time could cause a reaction / food poisoning or whatnot.  I'm sure the likeliness is low but it really doesn't matter if you eat sushi one day or 5 days, the one day could still get you sick with a parasitic infection.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageLilBlkDress1:
    imageMarisaKathleen:

I don't get the 'eating in moderation' with those things that we are told to avoid because of bacteria/food poisoning and not because of the food itself (like caffeine, cooked fish that have high levels of mercury...these I can see you eating in moderation since they're avoided for completely different reasons).  with things like sushi, unpasteurized foods, unheated lunch meats, one time could cause a reaction / food poisoning or whatnot.  I'm sure the likeliness is low but it really doesn't matter if you eat sushi one day or 5 days, the one day could still get you sick with a parasitic infection.

I understand what the original poster was intending to say (I think).  For example, some people avoid lunchmeat because of the risk of Listeria.  In reality, they are more likely to get listeria from veggies or fruits (hello recent cantalope recalls).  I don't recall hearing any dr's saying not to eat lettuce, but there was a major lettuce recall for listeria in 2011.   Just a thought.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageLilBlkDress1:
    imageMarisaKathleen:

Totally agree. Though the likelihood is rare, "moderation" isn't going to help you if you get the item with the bacteria in it, even just one time. It only takes once!

2/11 Diagnosis: DOR-AMH .62, LPD and MFI-4% Morph
    IVF #1-July 2011 7/9/11-Started Stims
    7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
    8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
    Nov, 2011 BFP #1=m/c at 7 wks 3 days
    11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
    <a href="http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb461/andersenspics/?action=view
  • I honestly think some women worry too much......
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagemrsbhk22:
    imageLilBlkDress1:
    imageMarisaKathleen:

I understand what the original poster was intending to say (I think).  For example, some people avoid lunchmeat because of the risk of Listeria.  In reality, they are more likely to get listeria from veggies or fruits (hello recent cantalope recalls).  I don't recall hearing any dr's saying not to eat lettuce, but there was a major lettuce recall for listeria in 2011.   Just a thought.

This.  The FDA regulates everything a lot more now than they did even 20 years ago.  This year alone there have been FDA recalls on spinach, cantalope, ground beef, mangos, protein drinks, turkey jerky, apples, oysters, and cilantro.  And those are just from the last 4 months!  You can potentially get sick no matter what you're eating whether you're buying that from a store, growing it yourself or going out to eat. 

The point is that I trust my doc and her years of experience when advising me on what is ok to eat and do during pregnancy.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• imagemrsbhk22:
    imageLilBlkDress1:
    imageMarisaKathleen:

Pretty much.  Though careful washing can minimize risk in veg, and I don't make a habit of washing my lunchmeat.  Still--though the risk of foodborne illness harming your baby is real, it's also extremely rare (CDC stats: 3 pre-term deaths due to listeria last year.  That's tiny, people.  And who knows if the women ate lunchmeat or lettuce?). To each his own, but I'm not going to have a conniption over some unpasteurized cheese (I'd be more likely to harm my baby by getting in a car accident on the way to the store to buy it).

OP--I really doubt that Panera is selling fresh-squeezed, unpasteurized juice, but I could be wrong. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"