High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

might have pree :

Went to my doc today after having foggy vision with nausa. My bp was 132/80 which is higher then any of my other bp recorded. She did an ultrasound said baby is positioned awkwardly, head down but to side of pelvic so he could be pushing on blood vessels which cause foggy vision. Im 36 weeks today will get bp check Saturday morning. Praying it will be lower but she said if its higher we will need to take "next step". Sorta freaking out, almost full term have a planned csection my 3rd.

Anybody get high bp in thier last weeks of pregnancy? Did they explain why its happened? What was your " next step" after your bp went in high 130s?

Re: might have pree :

• Options

I had pre-e at 33w with my first daughter. My bp was high, 100/165 and higher. I was sent to the hospital to be monitored, actually put on magnesium salfate and I was given steroid shots. I ended up delivering the next day due to my water breaking.

For now I would try and rest as much as possible, feet up, drink lots of water, lay off the salt, etc. Praying that your pressure come down. 

• Options
    I'm trying to puzzle out how a baby putting pressure on blood vessels in your pelvis that feed your ute, bladder, legs, and colon have anything to do with vision. Take a field trip to the pharmacy of grocery store and check your bp daily until your appointment. Those machines are inaccurate, but will give you an idea of your average. If your bp goes up or if you continue to have vision changes or pain on your right side or a headache that doesn't go away with Tylenol, go to ob triage and let them sort you out. It's not worth the worry or the risk.
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Are they having you do a 24 hour urine catch? I think you have to have greater than 300 ?ml? of protein in your urine plus greater than 140/90 (either number greater) to be diagnosed pre-e, but I'm not a doctor.  I was diagnosed with pre-e at 35 weeks, but not until protein came back in my urine and I had multiple BP's above the cut off.  My BP today at my appointment was 156/111. We are inducing next Tuesday evening (I will be 37w4d), but I also have IUGR. 

Definately something to watch, though.  I second either checking your BP at a local Walgreens or even buying a BP cuff (I have my own at home) and checking it often and keeping a record.  Pre-e isn't something you want to play around with, but at the same time, your BP luckily isn't insanely high.  And I might also ask the doctor about the 24 hour urine if they haven't had you do that already.  I will tell you, though, don't let them blow you off about the vision thing.  I had HORRIBLE headaches for about 3-4 weeks before I was diagnosed with pre-e (and had greater than 90 diastolic BP) and no one had me due a 24 hour urine until they discovered the IUGR. I honestly think that I was probably pre-e for that entire time and it may have been what contributed to my baby measuring so small with IUGR...I sort of feel like if they would have caught it early and put me on bedrest (like I am now), my baby might not have gotten to the point where he was IUGR...but I guess there isn't anyway to know that.   

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    Yes, if you havent done a 24 hour urine, insist on one.

I had a very nice patient during residency. Her BP's were always great. Never had proteinuria. Then one day at 35ish weeks, her bp was 136/90. And she had trace protein in her urine. I sent her straight to triage where the resident on duty did serial BP's which were all in that range so she got sent home with a 24 hour urine. Perfectly acceptable. I forget if they did labs in her. This was probably 4 years ago. Well, she came back with her urine. 6 grams of protein. That's 6000mg. Over 5g is in the severe pree range. Her labs were totally whackadoodle but her bp was still only 130/90 or so. But she got admitted and induced. Her labs worsened and she ended up with the second worst case of HELLP I've ever seen. She and baby ultimately did fine. I think she had to have a platelet transfusion and baby stayed an extra 12 days in the transition nursery.

Now, I'm no genius. But pree isn't always textbook. Sometimes the signs are subtle. And you have to pay attention. Be an advocate for yourself and make sure you're not blown off.

To prove I'm no genius, I once sent someone home from triage with a bp of like 155/100. I wasn't paying attention and didn't look at her vitals. She had come in complaining of contractions or something. My chief caught my error and called her back in. She ended up with HELLP as well. It could have been disastrous if he hadn't been paying attention. Just goes to show sometimes even the obvious is overlooked.
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"