July 2011 Moms
Options

advice on getting DD to drink whole milk

its been at least a month now since we started giving whole milk in her sippy. she hasnt taken bottle  in a while now. I still nurse and try to pump but otherwise when I am at work she is given water or tries whole milk or my BM if there is any.  She gags and gets choked up on the whole milk. How can I get her to like it?  I have heard mixing it with my BM. but have only tried that like once. what should the ratio be?

My moms bf suggested putting a little flavoring in some strawberry powder  flavor until she gets use to it..?

She is and has always been tiny baby/picky eater. She was 16lbs 9 oz at 1 year check up and is now (a month later) probably about 18lbs. she is eating more but also so super active as she always has been,

anyways how can I get her to drink whole milk?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: advice on getting DD to drink whole milk

• Options
    I've heard mixing is the best way when they won't take whole milk. Maybe do like a 60/40 with BM being the 60% and gradually increase the WM from there? IDK about the ratios.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I watered Rubes' down just a bit for about a week or so until she got used to the "thickness."

We've had no problems after that.

I will say though, she's still not drinking as much milk as other kids. Meh. Whatever. She gets it at nap and bed and drinks a ton of water the rest of the day in addition to a good amount of other dairy products. I don't push it. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't like it. (And I sound like such a hypocrite..I live on a dairy farm for cryin' out loud..lol...but it is what it is!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

The flavoring idea sounds like a disaster in the making. If she likes it with strawberry/chocolate, can you imagine trying to get her to drink it without it? LOL. That would be a nightmare. 

I'd try with the BM. I started transitioning her right after she turned 11m, at that point I just added 1oz of WCM to her formula- then increased it by an ounce every few days. By 11.5 months she was taking just regular milk and didn't seem to notice the change that much this way.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have not given my LO WCM so not speaking from experience here....but I have heard that they don't NEED WCM as long as they eat cheese, yogurt, etc. - other forms of dairy.  In time, your LO may learn to like it more.  
  • Options
    I started mixing DS's whole milk with fruit pur?e to make a sort of baby smoothie.   He loved it!  And it's great because he gets his milk and a serving of fruit.  I've started putting less and less and he still drinks it!
  • Options
    We mixed it a little at a time with the formula.. only took a few days.

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"