Baby Showers
Options

Guest list too small? and Etiquette questions.

Hello everyone!

My mom has offered to throw me a baby shower in early December (I'm due in January).  While I'm super excited and grateful, I'm also a little worried.

My mom wants me to do a lot of the planning for the shower... Mostly because she lives far away (500 miles).  However, I live in my hometown, and close to where she grew up, so I'm close to family.  We decided that it would make sense to have the shower near me.  I figure that I'll make it "etiquette acceptable" by researching a few different venues/ideas and giving her options to pick from. 

My question is:  Is a 10 person shower too small?  By 10 person I mean having an invite list of about 15 (5 of which I KNOW will show).

I feel like it would be nice to have a Sunday brunch type of sit down meal (maybe tea) with a smaller group rather than have an "invite everyone you know just to get more gifts".

I guess my 2nd question(s) is:  How do I separate myself from "planning" my own shower?  I understand that since my mom isn't here I'll have to research/visit venues.. where do I draw the line?  Should I just turn my mom's offer down?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: Guest list too small? and Etiquette questions.

• Options

imageSmileyGirl18:
    I think 10 is a good number.  As far as separating yourself, be sure to have your mom's name on the invitation as hostess and RSVP and make sure she actually "runs" the shower and the activities the day of.

This.

And I would have her in charge of getting whatever food there if it's not a restaurant venue, and have her take care of the decorations and stuff. That she can certainly do and just bring them down with her when she comes for the shower. It's not really something that's thrown for you if you have to set it all up yourself. But I would help with the venue and invites, that's fine

• Options

Ten to fifteen people is a nice-sized shower.

If it were me, I'd do the research/visit, and send her the information (including each location's contact info) for her to make the decision.  Let her know what you liked and what you didn't about each location, approximate cost, etc. and she can make her choice from that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"