VBAC

I have so many questions

Ladies,

I had a scheduled c section because the dr said the baby would be too big for me to push out. DS was 10lbs 4 oz. So I have never expierenced labor and delivery.

I am pregnant now with baby # 2 and would like to try for a VBAC.

I would love to hear your positive and negatives please.

I really need to hear some first hand knowledge vs my doctors.

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I have so many questions

• I think it's a shame your doctor scheduled you for a c/s without even letting you TRY to push out your baby. A friend of mine recently pushed out a 10+lb baby and didn't even tear.

If you want the experience of a vaginal birth, and the benefits of a smoother recovery and avoid the risks that come with a repeat surgery, by all means go for a vbac! You will undoubtedly need to switch providers though. I would start by first - getting a copy of your records from your first pregnancy and birth - then looking into your local ICAN chapter and ask the members for recommendations for vbac supportive doctors, and set up a few consultations. 

image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well obviously you'll need a new OB. Do you have a local ICAN group? They would be your best source for finding a vbac provider who is truly supportive.

The negatives I can come up with are:

- the difficulty of finding a good provider.
    - dealing with annoying and uninformed naysayers
    - have to deal with uncertainty of timing / childcare issues.
    - the mental and emotional stress if you end up with a c/s after getting your hopes up.

pros:
    - faster recovery
    - lowering your risk for problems with future pg.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • You might not be looking for a book to read, but I'm in the middle of the birth stories in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and it's so encouraging to hear all the positive outcomes of women who delivered naturally in all kinds of circumstances, large babies included.  You might want to check it out!   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • There's a post a few down with reasons people chose to VBAC that might help you.  I wrote in there.

Also, I wanted to add that my first was 10 lbs 2 oz and his size was never a factor for the reason for the c/s.  And the midwives saw no reason that I couldn't VBAC.  I also interviewed an ob for my second pregnancy and he said that since I had a large first baby, the second would be larger so I wouldn't be allowed paast 39 weeks and would probably end up with a c/s anyway due to size.  Yeah, to the midwife I went.  VBACed at 41 weeks.  No issues at all.  Baby was smaller by almost 2 lbs, FWIW but I think I could have pushed out the 10+ lber if need-be.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"