Breastfeeding
Options

anyone have experience with domperidone?

my OB just called in a prescription for me to help increase my milk supply. has anyone used this and more importantly have luck with it? i'm curious to know how long it will take to see if its working. i will be taking it 4 times a day for 2 weeks. i am also taking fenugreek and currently pump 2 oz every 2-3 hours.

this is my last try to get my milk supply caught up with baby's demand. fingers crossed i won't have to use formula anymore!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: anyone have experience with domperidone?

• Options

Is this the same medication as Reglan? I was on Reglan three different times, and it greatly increased my milk supply. I work FT as a teacher, and starting around 7 mos. I couldn't pump enough to keep up with her bottle demands for the sitter. I took it for 12 days at a time, and after about the 3rd day, I began to see an increase in the amount I was able to pump. I also took Fenugreek.The combination of the two enabled me to nurse exclusively and pump beyond my daughter's 1 year birthday.

I wish you the best of luck! 

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

I just heard of domperidone this past week on this BF board- but I googled it and found some majorly negative side effects that scared me off. So, I'm surprised that your DR prescribed it. It makes me want to look into it more since I would like to increase my supply. Dr Google isn't always the best DR in town :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I take Dom for low supply. It helps - but was not a total miracle (it didn't double my supply). I probably meet 90% of LOs needs but still have to supplement a but when she is at daycare. 

There are certainly risks. I haven't experienced any negative side effects thus far. Fingers crossed that continues.

Good luck!  

• Options
    thanks everyone! Dom is in the same category as reglan but it's a different drug. this is actually a compound drug that only certain pharmacies make. My OB actually takes it herself (she had a baby in May) and it was suggested by my LC that works in the same office. I'm not against supplementing a little bit, but I feel like I supplement too much for my comfort. Meeting 90% of my baby's needs is a big improvement. currently I think I'm meeting 60% of his needs, if that.
  • Options

I'm in Canada where domperidone is used a lot.  The possible cardiac risks are discussed but I did choose to use it and I'm glad I did.  I had hoped to wean off of it at 3-4 months but I'm staying on it as my supply did drop a lot when I tried weaning.  Interestingly I talked to a woman who is still on it several years past breastfeeding as it fixed her intestinal issues lol. 

Anyway, my supply didn't really kick in until about 6 weeks.  At that time we were able to stop supplementing, so I would give it a few more weeks to see if it is the same for you.  I was able to get off the fenugreek though, which was good as it it gives Micah gas.  I currently breastfeed all day then Micah has a bottle of pumped milk at suppertime and again before bed (the suppertime one saved our lives as my supply is lowest around that time).  He only ever nursed one side at night then fell asleep, so I pump the other side at night.  I usually do three pumping sessions, one in the evening after he has his bottle and one or two at night feedings.  Not traditional but works for us.   :)  Are you pumping to increase supply as well? 

Me and my Kiwi, both 38.  We struggled with RPL and were blessed with Micah.  I'm a full custody stepmom to Ethan!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image     image

• Options
    Search is your friend.  You will get a lot more info if you read what we've arleady discussed about this.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"