1st Trimester
Options

SO, I Have a friend..

She met with an OB/GYN at the Hospital and it was her very first visit with this pregnancy. She has 5 kids already - 4 girls and 1 boy - and just found out today the sex of her baby.

She has a long list of sonogram pictures printed out and the very last picture is a clear shot of in between the legs and.. SHE'S HAVING A BOY.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting about this is because she is only 15 weeks pregnant.

She says that with ALL of her pregnancies the doctor's were able to tell early like that - within 15 to 16 weeks of her pregnancies.

She also has always shown very early, too.

I mean, she is 15 weeks but her belly is so big already.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else was able to find out the sex of their baby this early? or is she just lucky? 

Re: SO, I Have a friend..

• Options
    imageSagen:

She is on her fifth pregnancy, so it is not suprising she has a bigger belly. More babies equals more relaxed muscles not holding in your uterus very well. I am 15 weeks with my 4th and I look like I did 20+ week with my first. My doc showed me where my uterus is and it is about a quater of an inch bellow my belly button.

I have read post from many people seeing the sex around 15/16 weeks and it being correct. It is easier to read later on, but if you get a good shot, and a knoweledgable tech/doc you can tell.

This.  Subsequent pg's show sooner because everything's "broken in" for lack of a better term.

There are some that find out the sex even weeks earlier (around the NT scan).   I wouldn't personally go out and buy pink or blue, but it's happened where they've gotten a good shot and been right.

• Options
    It sounds like you think she is lying about how far she is into her pregnancy? Is there a reason that you are making that judgement?  Excuse me, but I am only 21 weeks and I look like I am about 6.5 months, and I would be so incredibly offended if someone like you not only made these kinds of statements of my size, but then acted like I was lying about how far along I am! 
    Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm surprised she was told only in the beginning of the 2nd trimester. Maybe my doctor waited until I was further along to be sure... but to me that seems alittle early. But than again for her other pregnancies was her OBGY's prediction correct?
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor told me at 16 weeks "don't go buy anything pink yet, but I don't see a penis there." It was confirmed 2 weeks later at my anatomy scan, that I was having a girl, so yes it's possible to tell. 
    Peanut BFP 9.18.2009 EDD 5.23.2010 m/c 10.16.2010
    DD#1 BFP 4.28.2010 EDD 1.10.2011 born 12.27.2010
    DS BFP 8.29.2012 EDD 5.11.2013 born sleeping @ 17 weeks 12.1.2012
    DD#2 BFP 5.7.2013 EDD 1.11.2014 born 1.10.2014
    Jelly Bean BFP 2.25.2015 EDD 11.7.2015

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pregnancy Ticker 
  • Options

imageChocodoxies:
    It sounds like you think she is lying about how far she is into her pregnancy? Is there a reason that you are making that judgement?  Excuse me, but I am only 21 weeks and I look like I am about 6.5 months, and I would be so incredibly offended if someone like you not only made these kinds of statements of my size, but then acted like I was lying about how far along I am! 

OP if Chocodoxies is correct in your intention, shame on you!

To answer your question, yes you CAN find out that early. Most OB/GYNs make you wait until 20 weeks, but some are willing to tell you. It is also possible to have an elective scan done earlier. I'll be 16 weeks when we find out what sex the baby is (pending baby's cooperation at the elective scan). 

• Options

I found out I was having a boy at 15 weeks.

• Options
    imageSkyquirk813:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else was able to find out the sex of their baby this early? or is she just lucky? 

It's definitely possible to tell the sex at 15 weeks, but usually U/S's are done at 12 weeks (NT scan) and 20 weeks (anatomy scan), so most people don't usually have them at 15 weeks.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options

I had numerous ultrasounds with all of my pregnancies for various reasons. 

With my 1st I was 16 weeks when we found out she was a girl.

2nd I was 15 weeks when we found out he was a boy.

I was 20 weeks with my 3rd, another boy... didn't have many ultrasounds with him until towards the end because I had polohydramnios and the had to monitor exactly how much fluid I had.

With # 4, I was 15 weeks, another boy.

All pictures we got, regardless of how early I was with them, were very clear and "obvious."

Now, with #5... the perinatologist at my NT scan told me she was a girl. She tried to show me on the screen, but at that point it resembled a penis, it was all in "the angle of the dangle" which she tried to explain to me but I couldn't see enough to be confident about it.. so I didn't run out & start shopping for girl stuff until after my 20 week ultrasound which did indeed confirm we were having a girl. This same perinatologist told my sister her twins were girls at her NT scan.. she was correct as well. So, it's definitely possible to find out much earlier than 20 weeks. Like PP said.. most don't because it's "standard" to only have an early u/s to check viability & dating, and then 1 at 20 weeks to check anatomy. The NT scan is optional and most technicians won't even try to guess.

Also.. this is my 6th and I am asked on a regular basis when I am due. I don't have some babyzilla in there, it's just that like PP's said my body "knows what to do" and things relax and expand a lot quicker with each pregnancy.

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    With my pregnancies I found out at: 18 weeks, 16 weeks, 20 weeks. The rest were team green.

This is our last baby so DH is dying to know. We will find out ASAP.

As for showing, it's true that each time I've popped out sooner. I'm not overweight, and very tall at 5 foot 10. I already had to buy some elastic waist pants because I can't button my jeans over my bloated bump. By mid tri I'll look 6 months pg for sure.
    Lucky Mom to 5 girls: 09/97, 06/99, 10/02, 11/04, 04/08 & Peanut #6 due in April! Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    it is definitely possible to tell earlier than 20 weeks. believe it or not the reason for your anatomy scan at 20 weeks has nothing to do with sex, but the health of the baby. most people just find out then b/c that is one of the only u/s they have.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageAussie*s_Mom:
    imageSagen:

She is on her fifth pregnancy, so it is not suprising she has a bigger belly. More babies equals more relaxed muscles not holding in your uterus very well. I am 15 weeks with my 4th and I look like I did 20+ week with my first. My doc showed me where my uterus is and it is about a quater of an inch bellow my belly button.

I have read post from many people seeing the sex around 15/16 weeks and it being correct. It is easier to read later on, but if you get a good shot, and a knoweledgable tech/doc you can tell.

This.  Subsequent pg's show sooner because everything's "broken in" for lack of a better term.

There are some that find out the sex even weeks earlier (around the NT scan).   I wouldn't personally go out and buy pink or blue, but it's happened where they've gotten a good shot and been right.

"Broken in" LOL This made me laugh out loud! I never thought of it this way but, yes, I guess I am one "broken in" momma. Pregnant with my 3rd with in 3 1/2 years. Thanks for the smile! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    imageBeaglechon2012:

imageChocodoxies:

To answer your question, yes you CAN find out that early. Most OB/GYNs make you wait until 20 weeks, but some are willing to tell you. It is also possible to have an elective scan done earlier. I'll be 16 weeks when we find out what sex the baby is (pending baby's cooperation at the elective scan). 

I don't think there's anything in her post that implies that, you're reading into it.  I think she just wants to know when others found out the sex.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I found out at 15w0d last pg. the 3D/4D u/s place I went to will try at 14 weeks and if they can't be positive, they'll have you come back until they can.
  • Options

We found out with DD at 14 weeks.  It's definitely possible, as long as you have a cooperative one that gies the u/s tech the right view.  And yeah, later pregnancies show earlier, especially after that many.  Muscles, ligaments, etc. never really go back to normal afterwards.

Why do you sound a little angry about her?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemargot209:
    imageBeaglechon2012:

imageChocodoxies:

I don't think there's anything in her post that implies that, you're reading into it.  I think she just wants to know when others found out the sex.

The reason I got the impression that she may believe this woman to be lying falls mostly in the comment about her belly size after the story was told. If she was simply curious when other women found out the sex of their LOs, why mention the size of this other woman's belly? It was out of place and put an entirely different spin on her post. Not only that, but she is coming across as almost angry in her post. 

Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"