Alabama Babies

Waterbirth in Birmingham?

Anyone know where you can have a water birth in the Birmingham area thats covered by insurance?
Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: Waterbirth in Birmingham?

• brookwood hospital just re did their birthing suits and have portable pools for water birth. my insurace wont cover it b/c i work for st vincents therefore must use st vincents but to my knowlege brookwood is the only one right now. St vincents east is getting a remodle soon so depending on when your due they may have them by then.
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  •  I don't currently know of any one who actually had a water birth in this area. AL does not have any birth centers. From what I have heard, Brookwood does have tubs for laboring moms- it was my understanding that they are for pain management, and not used during the birth itself, though. I am not sure if they do it for labor and the delivery.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I am having my baby at Brookwood and hope to have a waterbirth.  Brookwood is the only hospital in the area that I know of that has tubs.  They have one birthing suite with a buit in tub but they also have the portable tubs in case that suite is taken. 

From what I understand it is not technically allowed to have a waterbirth but only to labor in the water.  But, I have also heard that if you get to a point that you can't get out of the tub then there isn't much they can do to stop you from actually birthing in the tub. 

I haven't experienced this personally but I'll be honest and hope to actually be able to birth in the tub.  I also think it depends on how willing your doctor is to do it. 

So, I would say Brookwood is your only chance in B'ham to have a waterbirth:) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Doctor Huggins/Dr. Robinett at Brookwood. -They are the only doctors at Brookwood doing water births with patients.
    TTC #2 for 18 months RE for 7 months progesterone=BFN/ clomid=BFN/ IUI#1 with clomid =BFN laparoscopy-Diagnosed with stage 2 endometriosis. IUI#2 letrozole/follistim combo...baby #2 due 3/23/2013
  • goodluck i wanted a water birth soo badly i was going to drive to tn to do it! Unfortunatly i didnt and had my son at St. vincents :/ 

hopefully our next.

i know it is illegal for water births in alabama ):

i dont see why. maybe because alabama is a poor state and needs all the money they can get. I know there are also no midwives or doulas in alabama also because of home births also being illegal. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"