June 2012 Moms

Pacifier or thumb?

Hi ladies. I haven't been on here since DS was born. I've been overwhelmed PPD and busy with the very fussy little love of my life.

Here's my dilemma: pacifier or thumb? DS is currently using a pacifier. It's great to soothe him before bed or before I nurse him, but it is an absolute nightmare to deal with when it falls out during the night, naps, the car, anytime! It's completely disruptive in trying to get DS to nap or sleep at night He is just starting to put his fingers in thumb in his mouth. I am very tempted to encourage the thumb sucking over the pacifier. I'm aware of all the dental issues associated with the thumb, but I vow to break that habit before it becomes detrimental. Is anyone dealing with this now or has dealt with this in the past? Any tips?

Thanks! And it's good to be back on here!

Re: Pacifier or thumb?

• I'm sorry to hear about your PPD : (  

DD is all about the thumb, so we've been encouraging it, or rather, not discouraging it. She doesn't really need any help from us, and as soon as she's upset she pops it in her mouth. She's never really taken to a pacifier and it's a pain to remember to bring them places, wash them, etc.

As for the dental issues, DH and I both had braces. He was a thumb sucker, I wasn't. We figure no matter what she does, she'll end up needing braces at some point, so we're just going with the thumb sucking.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I rather have her suck her thumb than to have to wean her off the paci. She loved it but now doesn't want it anymore, so I am following her cues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm the exact opposite of the PP. I figure, I can take a binky away, I can't take your thumb/fingers away. I would much rather get DS attached to a binky then have him turn into a 6yo thumb sucker. JMO

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DS sometimes uses the paci to calm down and other times uses his thumb (especially if the paci falls out and neither DH nor I are immediately there to retrieve it).  It depends on the situation...often DS will use his thumb when he's falling asleep.  We'll just have to deal with whatever situation results, although I'm hoping to get him off the paci by 6 months.
    -Michele Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is desperately trying to figure out how to get just his thumb in his mouth and we're not stopping him. Sometimes I see him sucking the heel of his hand, his fist, etc while he's falling asleep and I'm okay with it. I actually can't wait until he is proficient at it for times in the car seat or when going to sleep.

He was hardly interested in a pacifier before but would take it in the car if he was particularly upset. Now he won't even entertain sucking on one. He pushes it to the side of his mouth and chews it. Once he gets his thumb I'll be happy!

FWIW, I was a thumb sucker and never needed braces. BUT you say you'll break the habit before it becomes detrimental, but keep in mind you can't take away LO's thumb like you can a pacifier. My dad always gave me a hard time about sucking my thumb and I think it just made me more persistent. I became secretive about it and didn't stop until I was around 12! I think breaking the habit will depend more on your LO than you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • true, but a thumb doesn;t fall out of their mouths and wakes them up...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I can definitely see how it will be harder to wean off a thumb than a paci. But, both my DH and my sister stopped sucking their thumbs their first day of kindergarten. Social norms I guess??

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • as a former thumb sucker, if my dd wants to suck her thumb, she can suck her thumb.  I don't think you can "train" them to prefer one to the other - of 3 kids in my family I was the only one who was a thumb sucker.  I think it has far more to do with the childs need for a source of comfort.  If my baby needs her thumb to self-soothe, have at it.  
  • imageBabybear70:

I'm the exact opposite of the PP. I figure, I can take a binky away, I can't take your thumb/fingers away. I would much rather get DS attached to a binky then have him turn into a 6yo thumb sucker. JMO

This is exactly what I was going to say! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD started using a pacifier at 5 days old after a marathon nursing session that lasted almost 24 hours straight.  Replacing the darn thing after if fell out of her mouth at night was no big deal compared to her comfort nursing around the clock. But now I am in the same boat as you, I would rather her comfort herself with her thumb than having to constantly fish around for her nuk in the dark, or worse yet in the car!  The problem is she can't seem to get just her thumb in her mouth and ends up attempting to shove her entire fist in her mouth, which apparently is not as satisfying as the paci. I guess like the other posters have said, if she never takes to her thumb at least it will be an easier habbit to break.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My babe didn't take a pacifier until she was 5 weeks old. It was great, until she found her fingers. Now she has no interest in the pacifer and sucks her fingers all the time. It helps with self soothing, and I'm fine with it.  I don't think I could stop her from sucking them, even if I wanted to, unless I stood over her 24/7 and took them out every time she put them in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageacbfreire:
    true, but a thumb doesn;t fall out of their mouths and wakes them up...

I'm a FTM so maybe I am just ignorant, but I thought that the reason that they couldn't hold onto the pacifier was because their mouth muscles (around the lips and cheek) are not strong enough.  It would seem that the hand would fall away from the mouth as LO falls asleep (weighs much more than the pacifier) and you might face the same problem.   Am I wrong about this? 

• imagekhill86:
    DS is desperately trying to figure out how to get just his thumb in his mouth and we're not stopping him. Sometimes I see him sucking the heel of his hand, his fist, etc while he's falling asleep and I'm okay with it. I actually can't wait until he is proficient at it for times in the car seat or when going to sleep. He was hardly interested in a pacifier before but would take it in the car if he was particularly upset. Now he won't even entertain sucking on one. He pushes it to the side of his mouth and chews it. Once he gets his thumb I'll be happy! FWIW, I was a thumb sucker and never needed braces. BUT you say you'll break the habit before it becomes detrimental, but keep in mind you can't take away LO's thumb like you can a pacifier. My dad always gave me a hard time about sucking my thumb and I think it just made me more persistent. I became secretive about it and didn't stop until I was around 12! I think breaking the habit will depend more on your LO than you.

this is my DS too...He does not take a paci but is trying to find his thumb while sucking his fist, sometimes both...I haven't discouraged him. I'm letting him learn to self soothe. 

• imageTweets06:

imageacbfreire:
    true, but a thumb doesn;t fall out of their mouths and wakes them up...

I'm a FTM so maybe I am just ignorant, but I thought that the reason that they couldn't hold onto the pacifier was because their mouth muscles (around the lips and cheek) are not strong enough.  It would seem that the hand would fall away from the mouth as LO falls asleep (weighs much more than the pacifier) and you might face the same problem.   Am I wrong about this? 

when my LO falls asleep...his hands fall to the sides therefore, it doesnt wake him up necessarily, however, if he does for some reason get woken, he puts his fists back in his mouth sucking until he falls asleep again.. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"