Special Needs
Options

Unusual favorite colors?

Does anybody else's kid have "odd" favorite colors?

DD1 has always been drawn to black, white, gray and brown. Those were always the first crayons she picked for coloring/drawing anything. I used to hide our white crayons because she'd always try to draw on white paper with them (the fact that they wouldn't make visible marks was fascinating). For more than a year, gray was her favorite color. It was such a pronounced difference from what I thought a child would like (i.e., bright colors).

This past week, for the first time, she decided her favorite color is green and has been wanting to use our green plates, etc. 

I've wondered whether this might be an outward sign of unusual visual processing; her way of acknowledging that I wear a lot of black/gray/white myself; or just a quirk. She can identify colors perfectly, so I don't think she's colorblind. She doesn't show an aversion to bright colors, just a preference for the duller earth-tones/neutrals.

I'm just curious if anybody else, particularly with a kid with ASD, has run into this.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010

Re: Unusual favorite colors?

• Options

My ds likes the white crayon as well! I haven't noticed him have any strong color preferences, when given the choice between a few items he generally chooses pink/red if it's an option, I think he just randomly chooses crayons but tends to pick up the greens more often than others.

I, personally, have always been drawn to dull colors like white, brown and gray

• Options
    yellow
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    d.fd.f member
    Blake consistently says his favorite color is green. His go to color for water colors is blue. He doesn't really have a go to for other mediums.

DS 09/2008

• Options

I'm not dealing with ASD but DS1's (4yr) favorite color for as long as I can remember is purple...and a darker purple at that. I'm pretty sure this has been his favorite color since 2yr old.  DS2 (2.5yr) doesn't really have a favorite color but I would probably pick blue if given an option, but really he seems all over the place about choosing a color if you give him a box of crayons.  :-)

FWIW, I love me some dull earth colors.  he he he

• Options
    DS has always been drawn to the color orange, I want to say we noticed near his first birthday. He colors with all colors.
  • Options

As an infant, Chris was always drawn to orange things.

Later it was blue.

Then green.

I'm not sure it means anything though.

Funny - as I read this - I was the odd little girl who liked to dress up in black - and maybe white if I was feeling 'colorful'.   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    DS has preferred red to other colors since he was about DD's age. However, if you ask him, for the past year he swears his favorite color is "all the colors of the rainbow ". I am fairly certain he says that to one up everyone else.
  • Options
    DS couldn't care less about favorite things....colors, toys, books. The all about me poster for school was truly a joy....not! His favorite anything is whatever is closest to him or whatever comes to mind first. So, when asked what his favorite color was....he grabbed the closest crayon there was and said:" orange!" and put it down right away.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"