February 2013 Moms
Options

A/S Scan..FTM question (two part)

Hi all...quick question from a mostly clueless FTM,

Part one: Should I be scheduling a specific a/s scan?  I have my September appointment on Sept 14th, and my dr.'s nurse said that will be when they will tell us the sex of the baby.  (We're finding out and I'm literally counting the days I'm so excited)But...is the a/s scan something separate?  Like a separate appointment?  Or do people just call their five month appointment the a/s scan?

Part Two: Did any of you STMs have  strong feelings of the baby's sex and guess correctly?  I feel kind of bad b/c I don't have a strong sense of what the baby is.  I was convinced it is a girl, but now I have boy vibes.  So who knows? 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: A/S Scan..FTM question (two part)

• Options
    Both times different practices I had to schedule the anatomy scan with the lab in the hospital. It was done by an ultrasound technician, not by my doctor in their office. I would just ask at your next appointment. If they haven't given you any info about it then maybe they do it differently. It was a very formal process for me though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Mine was nice and easy. I just had my 16wk appointment last friday. after finishing appointment I went to the front desk and scheduled my next appointment. They automatically have the tech in at the clinic on certain days. so they automatically set my appointment up with the tech for A/S and said I will see my OB right after the tech finishes up.

I would just check and clarify with them when you schedule next appointment. because they could be like mine and do it all at once and just tell you what day and time to show up. if they hadnt specified i wouldnt have known i was seeing my OB right after the tech.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1) You should call your care provider.  With mine, the a/s was scheduled as a regular appt, so there was no additional appt needed.  This time, I will have to do it separately.They had a u/s tech in the office, so I didn't need to go anywhere special.

2) I did not have a feeling either way. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It depends on your Dr. and where your normal appointments are. Just like you, I was completely clueless, and no one explained that the u/s is separate from the regular appointments and in a different building and everything so at the time, my regular appt. was the same week as my u/s and I tried to schedule them together because I thought I could do that.  That turned into a mess and after like 4 phone calls I finally realized I couldn't do them on the same day in the same office by the same person!!  I felt so stupid.

Just call the Dr. office and ask to be sure. I went to a group of OBs last time and they don't perform u/s in the office I normally went to, I had to go to a different office and it was done by an u/s technician.

With my 1st, I was pretty sure it was girl early on. (I was Team Green) But then when my belly got really big, I knew it was a boy and by the end I was super low and all in front - classic signs of a boy. This pg is sooo different from the 1st so far, so I think it's a girl. There are 0 girls in either of our families, all grandsons so we are due for a girl. I am the last one to have babies so this might be it. Honestly, I don't care I just want a healthy LO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options

Every OB office is different. I had to schedule my a/s and dr. appointments separately , but on the same day, in the same office.

But I would imagine if the nurse told you that you will be finding out the sex, that they have scheduled the anatomy scan. The a/s is not solely to tell the sex, they are looking at all the important parts of the body, making sure everything is normal and growing properly, the perk is that you can find out the sex at this time! 

• Options
    Thanks so much for the info.  My doctor has been doing all ultrasounds in the same office as her group.  But I'm going to call the office now just to double check.  If I arrived on the 14th and they told me that I was suppose to schedule a different appointment I would likely run out in tears!  Such an emo lately. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That was quick...and I'm almost in tears.  Now I'm so glad I asked.  I've been completely convinced that I'm finding out what the baby is on the 14th.  Apparently that is just a regular appointment.  After that appointment they will schedule me for the a/s...she did say that they will schedule it for the following week.  But grrrrrr....now I have to wait another week.  Good thing I found out now.  Thanks everyone.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Our A/S is part of our 20 week visit, we just go early for the ultrasound, then review the results with the doctor during the appointment.

I was totally convinved that DD was a boy and I was sooooo wrong. Not only is she a girl, she's a diva (sweet though!) This pregnancy has been so wildly different than my first that now I really DO think this is a boy, but we'll see. Haven't bought any blue yet.

imageimage imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"