Pre-School and Daycare
Options

s/o Christmas post

DS is showing an interest in a bunch of books, and I was thinking of just getting him one or two a month, but that's not how I was raised. I can't decide if we wait until Christmas and get him a bunch of books at once, or just let them trickle in. FWIW he has a pretty nice library, and doesn't need any, he would just go bananas for them. 

Also, since DH's family does an xmas list due in October, would it be weird to put an itunes gift card down for DS? We want to get him some Muppet episodes, and I'm afraid if we put down the movies that we will get DVD's which we can't put on our ipads. Thoughts? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: s/o Christmas post

• Options

What about doing a book a day for the 12 days of Christmas?

FWIW, we don't consider books a gift in my house. My mom works for a bookstore, so she is constantly sending books, and I also frequently buy them for DD. If it makes you feel better, he could earn them.

• Options
    imagebrightning:

What about doing a book a day for the 12 days of Christmas?

LOVE this idea!!!!!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why don't you start going to the library every few weeks and just check the books out so that he has new books all year to read?  We do that with the girls and then my ILs and sometimes my parents do books for b-day or Hanukkah gifts along with other things.  My girls both have a ton of books thanks to my sister who passed down a lot of her DD's books but we don't buy new books often.  The girls also get a new book each a month through the PJ Library program (Jewish related) so that is great.  IF they didn't get that, I would see no issue with buying them a new book or 2 every month or 2.  I love to read and get books for my ereader at least once a month so why should my kids be any different.  I want to raise kids who love to read so I want them to see books as things we get/borrow and not just as special gifts.  Granted, I also don't spoil my kids crazy for b-days or Hanukkah and we buy things throughout the year although they get more for the special occasions - we got a great deal on scooters for the kids on Black Friday last year but given that we live in MN - we held onto them and gave them to the girls in the spring just because.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    I get dd books all the time. We always find tons at Goodwill so they aren't too expensive. I wouldn't make them wait for Christmas for those, but I know everyone varies.
  • Options
    My DD also loves books! I second the person who recommended the library. My DD has an overflowing bookshelf and we're just out of places to put new ones...so the library will be our next stop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • Options
    I'm jealous of everyone with great library systems. Even with our rather large county's library system, most of the popular books have a months-long waiting list. Six months for a Mo Willems early reader? She'll be onto the next level by then!
  • Options
    Don't limit books and only get them at Christmas because kids get tired of the same books so it is exciting to get new ones and there is really nothing better to spoil them with, can a kid really get spoiled by books?  I do not know his age but my DD loves the soft cover books that are $3.99, I would get some nice hard cover ones for Christmas and regularly get a cheaper one, the $3.99 ones are usually colorful - either easy readers or basic cute books for a character he likes like Diego.  I did the Children's Book of the Month Club for Christmas before, just order all at once and fulfil it quickly and then email them to cancel.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    imagebrightning:

he could earn them.

Love this idea! 

m/c 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"