C-sections

General anesthesia

I have to go under general anesthesia for my c-section because I had a spinal fusion and cage placed in my lower back after an injury 11 years ago. I'm really upset that I won't be able to see my babies when they are born. Just wondering if anyone is willing to share their experience. Thank you in advance!
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: General anesthesia

• With ds #1 I was under general since I had an emergency c-section.  I'm not going to lie that I was quite sad that I wasn't able to see ds until a couple hours after he was born (DH wasn't allowed to see him being born either).

However, even though it was disappointing...I was still very happy and in love with him once I was able to be with him.

Good luck!

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I wasn't under general anesthesia for DD2, but I was very heavily drugged because I had an extreme panic attack going into surgery. I was awake but don't remember her being born. I wish I remembered her first few moments, but it in no way affected my ability to bond with her. I bonded with her much more quickly than I did with DD1, and my daughter doesn't know the difference. She's a happy, healthy little girl, and I'm the only mom she knows, and ultimately that is all that matters.

I understand your feelings, and it did take me some time to come to terms with how it ended up, but the best thing you can do is make peace with the situation ASAP and just love on your LOs when you come to. Best wishes for you!

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you, ladies. :) Your kind words are much appreciated.
  • I had general for my 2nd. It was so rough!

If I knew what I know now. I wish people had waited to shove my babies on me, and let me get a clearish head, realize what had happened etc. before seeing them.  I had the baby placed on me and told the gender while I was still waking up. I remember telling the nurse it wasn't my baby and I couldn't hold it right now. It was weird. I wish they had let my husband hold the baby and bring him to me once I was in recovery.

It might be nice to have your husband photograph the first moments. Ask what he can participate in so you can have video of what happened. It will help you own the memory.

Hugs.

• Was your husband allowed in the OR? I keep forgetting to ask my doctor, but I have read that general = no hubby in OR. Hoping he can be there because I want one of us to experience their birth, and I would like to at least see a picture or video of the babies being born. 
  • imageyinyang124:
    Was your husband allowed in the OR? I keep forgetting to ask my doctor, but I have read that general = no hubby in OR. Hoping he can be there because I want one of us to experience their birth, and I would like to at least see a picture or video of the babies being born. 

I had a GA emergency c/s and MH was not allowed in the OR. Originally they were trying to keep me awake so they were going to allow him but then had to be put me out at the last second and he was told he could not enter.

Missing my son's birth was really hard on me but I also had a rough delivery. Even now it still stings but I have so many happy memories with him that it is a distant memory now compared to the first few months of his life.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had an emergency csection with DD and was under General Aneesthesia..DH was not allowed in the room.  And DD was 9 weeks eary so DH didn't get to see her for awhile, it did suck but as soon as I was recovered and they were going to take me to my room they stopped in at the NICU and got to see DD....at that point I really didn't care anymore about all that, only wanted my DD to be healthy.  I had a scheduled csection with DS and that was a much better experience but he was also "full" term...but all in all you do what you have to do and looking back now I could care less about how they were born, just happy they are here and healthy.  So that is all that matters.

Andi is on the move! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"