Special Needs
Options

Who makes a BIP (behavioural intervention plan)?

Long story short, my 3 yr old son on ASD has been just very very difficult of late. I will spare you all the details unless you want to hear them. His behaviours are so so so hard to handle for both my DH and I. As an example, he throws himself on the floor if he thinks you wronged him and the wrong part could be any random thing. Like if you opened the door a couple of seconds late after his request, if you gave his milk in a blue cup if he asked for pink, or if you made dinner in a little different way from yesterday, or if you sit in a different chair at dinner or just anything/anywhere really....he just screams, shouts and shouts, scratches and falls on the floor no matter where you are.

He has no concept of limits, boundaries and just keeps pushing and pushing to the point where we have to physically restrain him to get him to listen. DH can hold him tight and make him listen, but I cannot really hold him down physically to get him to understand what we are doing. So, he thinks he can get away with me and does not listen to me AT ALL. For example he will walk to the car nicely most of the times if it is dad taking him out, but if it is me, he just darts off on the street and becomes noodly if I try to pick him up. I have had some success with verbal deterrents like if he doesn't get in the car like all boys do, T-rex would come get him (he is afraid of Trex)....I am not sure that is a good thing to scare him about stuff, but it works at times and I use it. 

We both parents are at loss and need REAL help. My son's EI ended and he is starting preschool with an IEP next week. But I definitely think we need a BIP in place for him and so both parents know how to handle the son when he puts us in unsafe/awkward situations and just throws tantrums all.the.time. Who makes a BIP and which expert should I contact to get started.

If you listened so far, thanks!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Who makes a BIP (behavioural intervention plan)?

• Options

The school psychologist usually does it where I work. If they notice that his behaviors are affecting his access to the school curriculum or dangerous to himself or others, they will put him on a behavior plan. I don't think they will put a behavioral plan in place until they see these behaviors affecting his education. You might start with contacting the school psychologist and the rest of the IEP team to outline your concerns so that they know what to look for and ask for some suggestions that you can put in place at home.

• Options
    imageannibes:

The school psychologist usually does it where I work. If they notice that his behaviors are affecting his access to the school curriculum or dangerous to himself or others, they will put him on a behavior plan. I don't think they will put a behavioral plan in place until they see these behaviors affecting his education. You might start with contacting the school psychologist and the rest of the IEP team to outline your concerns so that they know what to look for and ask for some suggestions that you can put in place at home.

Thanks for your reply. But if we want a plan at home and not school initiated to help us better understand his needs and triggers, who do I contact? What is strange though is at school/day care he is extremely well behaved kid until I walk into the door to pick him up. I believe ASD kids are known to reserve their worst behaviours for the parents. Sigh!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your insightful tips! It really sets the ball rolling for our family. I am making an appointment with a behaviour psychologist who deals with children 0-10 dealing with ASD. I will update how it goes. I live in the US, however, I lived in a common wealth country before moving to the US, hence the occasional English spellings :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"