Food Allergy
Options

Dairy free not working....help! Xp breastfeeding

I have been dairy free for 5 weeks and soy free for that long but I still eat soy oil and lecithin. LOs poops are still super mucousy. They smell soo bad! I don't know what to do. I know I have messed up about once a week trying to do this, ex I ate Caesar salad last weekend. But shouldnt I see some results by now?She doesn't seem in pain and is generally happy. The pedi says if she is not in discomfort just live with the mucousy poops and keep going dairy free. Does this seem right? Could I be doing damage? 
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Dairy free not working....help! Xp breastfeeding

• Options

It can take up to a month for dairy and soy to leave your system (and then it still has to leave hers)-- so if you are still eating dairy.. even some.. it may till affect your LO.  DD is allergic to diary.  It took her a full 2 months on Alimentum before I saw a true difference in her skin.  The mucus and bloody stools went away pretty quickly.  Then the congestion left... and now her eczema. 

You have to be really diligent about being dairy free if you want to see a difference.  Even a little bit can cause disruption.  If you are really that concerned about it I would say also give up the soy oil and lecithin.  Do you eliminate hidden dairy too (Casein)?

If it's just mucousy poop - I'm inclined to say not to worry about it.  But on the other hand I do know that sometimes there is blood in the poop and we just can't see it... the diaper would need to be sent to the lab.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageNiniJ55:

It can take up to a month for dairy and soy to leave your system (and then it still has to leave hers)-- so if you are still eating dairy.. even some.. it may till affect your LO.  DD is allergic to diary.  It took her a full 2 months on Alimentum before I saw a true difference in her skin.  The mucus and bloody stools went away pretty quickly.  Then the congestion left... and now her eczema. 

You have to be really diligent about being dairy free if you want to see a difference.  Even a little bit can cause disruption.  If you are really that concerned about it I would say also give up the soy oil and lecithin.  Do you eliminate hidden dairy too (Casein)?

If it's just mucousy poop - I'm inclined to say not to worry about it.  But on the other hand I do know that sometimes there is blood in the poop and we just can't see it... the diaper would need to be sent to the lab.

The bold part.  My LO was just diagnosed with MSPI and my pedi told me to cut out all dairy and soy ALL the time no matter what.  She said even the little bit you eat can effect your LO and in the long term can do serious damage to their gastrointestinal tract. So I have been very serious about changing my diet.  I dont eat any questionable foods and have a very bland diet now, but it is worth it for my LO. Defiantly check food labels for casien, lactoglobulin, and whey which are all dairy proteins.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you ruled out oversupply? Foremilk hindmilk imbalance? Those can cause similar symptoms.

If she is happy, thriving, gaining appropriately etc... Then it might not be your diet.

I wanted to add that my DS actually has a number of allergies and isn't affected at all by my own diet. So the point about causing lots of damage... Not necessarily true. There's some thought now that if they CAN tolerate exposure via your milk then it's better not to cut it. of course if they can't tolerate that's different
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I agree that you have to be dilligent about removing ALL dairy and soy from your diet.  Make sure all hidden dairy is out too, meaning casein, whey, etc, which is found in so many prepackaged foods, breads, etc.  It's tough but the only way you'll know for sure.  Here is a link to an ingredient list "cheat sheet", I used it to help me find hidden dairy:

That being said it is always possible that in addition to dairy and soy your LO may be having trouble with something else in your diet.  My LO was unable to handle dairy, soy, and eggs in my diet.  I had to cut out all three.  
    If you need help with your diet, recipes, etc try these websites:

allergy-friendly cookbook:https://bit.ly/d9QVFL

Top 8 Allergens :https://bit.ly/I5sCSH 

Elimination Diets video: https://bit.ly/yL1gFN

Also, when eating out you can ask for food allergy information and/or order with specific instructions, no butter, etc.  Ask what their cooking your food in because vegetable oil is usually soybean oil.  

Good luck!
    Rachel Mom to 3 boys Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid Decemberboy04 -former reflux baby Augustboy10 - MFPI baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"