September 2012 Moms
Options

How quickly after birth does shortness of breath subside?

Can any STMs tell me?  Does it take a couple days to get back to normal?  Or does the shortness of breath go away right off the bat?  Thanks! :)

*E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How quickly after birth does shortness of breath subside?

• Options
    With my previous pregnancies I noticed an immediate relief from the shortness of breath after baby was born.  I also was amazed at how long I could go between bathroom breaks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    km3km3 member

imagecautionwillburneyes:
    With my previous pregnancies I noticed an immediate relief from the shortness of breath after baby was born.  I also was amazed at how long I could go between bathroom breaks!

That's good to know... I'm getting tired of both!

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, the shortness of breath caused by squished lungs goes away pretty immediately. However, shortness of breath caused by general lack of physical fitness because of being a big ol' sedentary pregnant lady can hang around for awhile I've found. ;o) Heehee. Really though, I was amazed at how it seemed that the instant DD was out of my body it was like popping this massive balloon. You don't realize how much pressure that baby and fluid is putting on so much of your body until they're back out. I remember feeling like my organs must be sliding around in there with so much space. And, probably, they were a bit. Also, reflux and 9 months of nausea were gone instantaneously. It was awesome

It's an amazing feeling to finally have that baby out. So take that as the antidote to any concerns about post partum recovery. Yes, your vagina will need to heal, but you will be so much more comfortable in so many other ways. It sort of evens itself out. At least it did for me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Glad to hear that it doesn't take too long!  I'm getting excited to kiss my husband without having to gasp for airEmbarrassed (...among other reasons, I suppose.)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I know all to well what you mean. We're so close! Tonight our family went for a little walk and there's a little nip in the air and I realized it was my favorite kind of night for a run. Then I realized it's been over 9 months since I've run and how much I'm gonna suck at it when I'm finally able to again. But still, I can't wait to throw on my running pants and shoes and pound the pavement again. Ahhh...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Depends on what's causing it. If it is the baby pushing on you lungs, it is pretty much instantly. If you are anemic, for example, it takes until you re- charge your iron supplies. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I just asked this question on a post above, before seeing this one.  I realize nobody is probably awake, but it's good to know that things start to feel better right away.

How about the other things like joint pain, swelling, carpal tunnel, feeling that your pelvis is being ripped apart, sciatica etc.?  A lot of us seem to have those symptoms and I'm wondering when those go away.

Also, the act of moving in general is very difficult for me.  Getting out of bed etc.  Is it the weight?  Is it the lessoned lung capacity?  Will just the birth be enough to allow me to swiftly get in and out of bed?  Of course, if I'm not getting up to pee every hour, I guess it won't be as bad.  I'm just so tired of having to heft myself to turn to a different side. I want to be able to go up and down steps without dread.

• Options
    imageilovehouses:

I just asked this question on a post above, before seeing this one.  I realize nobody is probably awake, but it's good to know that things start to feel better right away.

How about the other things like joint pain, swelling, carpal tunnel, feeling that your pelvis is being ripped apart, sciatica etc.?  A lot of us seem to have those symptoms and I'm wondering when those go away.

Also, the act of moving in general is very difficult for me.  Getting out of bed etc.  Is it the weight?  Is it the lessoned lung capacity?  Will just the birth be enough to allow me to swiftly get in and out of bed?  Of course, if I'm not getting up to pee every hour, I guess it won't be as bad.  I'm just so tired of having to heft myself to turn to a different side. I want to be able to go up and down steps without dread.

granted I had no joint pain, sciatica or heartburn with DS, but honestly the pain from my vag (episiotomy & vacuum delivery) took away from all other painful sensations.  A lot of my complaints pre-delivery were that my body wasn't used to carrying around all the extra weight ( I gained 45 pounds).  I lost 10 pounds just from delivering and that was a huge blessing in itself, also take out the 7lb baby squishing every organ and it makes it MUCH easier to breathe... so I guess its a combination, but most of my pregnancy issues were resolved by the time I left the hospital

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"