C-sections

Eating after...

I was told by my SIL who had a c-section last year that I will not be able to eat for 24 hours after my c-section. Is this true? She said that the reason is because they take your bowels out during and want to make sure everything is working after. 

I can't see not having anything to eat for 24+ hours. 

Re: Eating after...

• They were starving your sister! LOL!

I have had all 3 c-sections in the morning. I'm allowed a LIQUID diet until around evening time. Then I can order something light.

My OB just tells me to listen to my body and order accordingly. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • So, my c-section is Monday at 7:30 AM. I know I can't eat anything after midnight, Sunday night, but can you drink water?
  • Loading the player...
  • I wasn't allowed to eat real food until I passed gas. I was allowed chicken broth, jello, things like that. I had my c/s Saturday at 4pm. I passed gas by breakfast on Monday morning. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a c/s at 10:25 am, was in recovery till 11:45 ish, then had half a grilled cheese around 2 pm and a full grilled cheese around 3:30 pm.

I never threw up or even felt sick. Just eat slowly, drink water, and listen to your tummy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imagereece0099:
    So, my c-section is Monday at 7:30 AM. I know I can't eat anything after midnight, Sunday night, but can you drink water?

Nope, nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • There is no real reason to go that long without eating.  Unless something really gets messed up you should be started on a clear liquid diet (apple juice, jello, broth, etc) with an "advance as tolerated" order to follow.  That means as long as the clear liquids don't make you sick you will advance to full liquids (pudding, milk, soups) and then should be on a normal diet after that.  

And yes you have to have NOTHING by mouth (including ice chips, sips of water, etc) after midnight for a scheduled c-section.  National standard is at least 6 hours of nothing to eat or drink for surgery unless emergent-most anesthesia professionals prefer 8 hours to be on the safe side because anything you put in your stomach could potentially come up and into your lungs while having surgery which can lead to pneumonia.   

• I had a normal breakfast the following morning,(I delivered DD at 1:07 PM) I thought they were going to put me on a liquid diet because I was throwing up as a reaction to the spinal. They gave me eggs and a few pieces of bacon after they gave me medicine to stop the nausea. 
  • With my first c-section I was on a liquid diet the first 24hrs. With this c-section I actually had an on call doc and she is the ONLY doctor they have that allows you NO food restrictions after a c-section. She just says "take it slow" and don't make yourself sick but eat anything you want. It was nice!

• I had a c/s at 3:30 am and was told I had to eat pudding as my first post-c meal.  I have no idea what time in the morning it was but I had pudding and then was allowed to order breakfast.  I ate breakfast fine but then totally threw up everything.  I had some sips of water and ice later on and threw that up too.  I was told to have something with carbs as "lunch" after i got some drugs and kept that down just fine.  I had a normal dinner with no problems.

I was told no ice chips, no water, no food (nothing in the mouth) after midnight before my scheduled c/s.  My water broke several days before my sch c/s and they wanted to wait 6 hours after I had last eaten.  I was progressing very fast so they took me back earlier.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my c/s around 9 am, was allowed water (and maybe juice? I don't remember) once we got up to the ward in the early afternoon and was allowed some bland foods for dinner around 5. Nurses were concerned about my bowels working and asked if I had passed gas and were also concerned about me vomitting. I was starving! So I had ILs get me something from the gift shop later in the evening too (fruit, muffin). Then I had a ginormous breakfast.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• I was allowed a liquid diet for the first couple hours after, maybe 12 hours, but I was so nauseous I couldn't eat anything for about 36 hours after my c section.
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told not to eat or drink anything after midnight.  My c-section was scheduled for 8:30 a.m.  DS was delivered at 9:10 a.m.

While I was in recovery, I was only given ice chips.  That could have been because I vomited soon after I got the spinal block.  I was in recovery for about 2 hours.  Once I was in my regular room, I was told that I could order whatever I wanted from the cafeteria.  The nurse did suggest that I take it easy in the beginning and try crackers or soup.  (I pretty much had to because I was still vomiting.)  By late afternoon, we got the vomiting under control, so I had a normal meal that evening. 

• I was on a liquid diet till I farted. They just wanted to make sure everything was working right.  I was able to drink whatever I want and I got lots of broth.  Once I farted, I could eat whatever I wanted!  It took maybe a day or so.

• I had my c/s around 9 PM and had a liquid breakfast in the morning around 7 I think. I was not at all interested in eating that night, but was ready by breakfast. I then had a normal lunch.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagejuliane2004:

I had a c/s at 10:25 am, was in recovery till 11:45 ish, then had half a grilled cheese around 2 pm and a full grilled cheese around 3:30 pm.

I never threw up or even felt sick. Just eat slowly, drink water, and listen to your tummy.

Yep. My doctor doesn't put any food restrictions on his patients (with un-complicated c/s). He just said to take it easy. I went ahead and had broth for the first meal, but quickly ate more.

Also, no water after when they tell you not to eat or drink. They allowed me ice chips in the hospital because I was so thirsty since my c/s wasn't until noon.

Baby Boy - Born June 8, 2012 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was able to eat as soon as I wanted to.
  • 12 hours after is what they did for me.  BUT i was induced and couldn't eat after midnight from the night before.  I didn't get my broth until about 36 hours later.  chicken broth and jello had never tasted so good in my LIFE!
  • DS was delivered at 12:09am, i had chicken broth for "breakfast" at 8am and lunch at 12:30pm. my hospital said 12 hours post surgery you can eat. 

funny story though... the morning nurse told me i could go ahead and order lunch and eat it. the meal lady came and brought me lunch, asked if i had passed gas and said no. she set the tray just out of arm's reach and told me that i couldn't eat until she talked to the nurse. she left the room, i put that bed up and reached for the tray, grabbed whatever i could off of it and started stuffing my face. i was STARVING after not having had anything to eat for 28 hours. she came back in to me with a mouth full of food and told me the nurse said i could eat :) 

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • I was told no food or water after midnight for my scheduled c/s.  DS was born at 9:03am, and I was back in my room by 10.  I was given ice chips & water at that point.  Lunch around noon was clear liquids (chicken broth, jello), and dinner that evening was creamier, heartier liquids (some kind of creamy soup was the main dish).  By breakfast the next morning I was allowed to order off the regular menu.
  • I wasn't allowed to eat for 24 hours after and then it was only beef broth and liquids for 3 days! The nurses said the ob that did was super cautious about allowing solids too early. I hoping someone feeds me this time!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Your poor SIL, I wonder if there was another issue with her that they didn't allow her to eat??  I had my DD at 9am and I had a late lunch of chicken broth, jello and juice around 2:00.  Then I had a grilled cheese for dinner at 6:30 and ate a huge breakfast the next morning. 

I would recommend eating some fiber and/or having prune juice with your meals.  The first time you poop will likely be very painful and for a lot of us is the worst part of having a c/s. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My csection was at 3pm and I wasn't allowed to eat or drink after midnight the night before.

After my csection, I was still so thirsty I drank a bunch of water too fast and got sick.  However, a couple hours later they brought me a "liquid" diet for dinner.  I only had the juice and jello at that point.  The next morning I got a regular breakfast.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I had my c-section at 6pm, they brought me a regular breakfast (whole wheat pancakes, fruit, coffee...I forget what else...) at 7am the next morning!
    imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had to wait 24hour after m c/s with DS1 (was on clear liquid diet) but that was because I was on magnesium due to pre-e.  With DS2 I also needed magnesium but only needed it for 12 hours post c/s so I was able to have solids after the drip stopped.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKeyLime81:
    I had my c-section at 6pm, they brought me a regular breakfast (whole wheat pancakes, fruit, coffee...I forget what else...) at 7am the next morning!

Ditto!  C around 9 pm, breakfast the next morning.  Plus the recovery floor nurse gave me a small glass of water (that was the best water I ever had in my life, lol) and a granola bar around 2 a.m.  No problems.

• I went 5 hours before going to the hospital 24 hours without eating from labor and another 12 after delivery and c-section. But honestly I had the IV and I wasn't starving my first item was a glass of juice and a graham cracker. I had a terrible stomach ache and only nibble for a while on mild items.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageKie310:
    I wasn't allowed to eat real food until I passed gas. I was allowed chicken broth, jello, things like that. I had my c/s Saturday at 4pm. I passed gas by breakfast on Monday morning. 

This. 

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • With my 3 c sections I was only allowed liquid until I had bowel sound/passed gas.  So what I do is drink as much juice and water as possible as soon as they give it to me and keep drinking until they let me move on to like jello and pudding later that day.  I've always been able to have real food by the next day.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I was allowed to eat when I was hungry enough to eat again. No restrictions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"