Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

TTC after Depo - frustrated!

My husband and I have been ttc since March (I know comparative to some it isn't a very long time, but it seems like forever when all I see are negative hpt). I was on Depo from May 2010-August 2011. We decided that we wanted to start ttc this year so we discontinued Depo. After several months of no periods (even after not getting the shot) my nurse practioner decided to try a dose of Provera. After the round of Provera still no period. My OB just ran a full panel of hormone tests to make sure I was still producing all the correct hormones. Everything is coming up as normal and showing that I am O'ing, just not having a period. She wants my husband and I to wait another 6 months before doing anything else. She told us that she could start us on Clomid now, but she would prefer to wait, but ultimately the decision is ours. My husband wants to wait and "have faith" a pregnancy will happen, I prefer to try to do everything possible now to get pregnant. We are not getting any younger (not that we are old, I am 30 and he is 41), but I had a number of complications with my first pregnancy 10 years ago that has me worried that the longer we wait, the more risks we incur. Am I being irrational about wanting to try more methods now? Should I try to be more patient? My first pregnancy was completely unplanned and happened the first (and only) time my ex-bf and I had sex. So this is really hard for me now that my husband and I can't get pregnant.  Has anyone else successfully gotten pregnant after Depo? How long did it take to conceive? 

Re: TTC after Depo - frustrated!

• Options

You cannot ovulate and not have a period (unless of course you get pregnant).  Your blood work levels may be normal, but unless you had an ultrasound showing that you ovulated, I highly doubt it.

It took me a full year after my last shot was due (not from the date of last shot) to ovulate.  It is common knowledge that it can take that long for your body to regulate after depo.  I suggest charting your basal temperature. 

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options
    DO NOT start Clomid until you and DH have a full work up. If DH has issues or if your tubes are blocked... Clomid won't do anything. It would be a waste! Too many doctors just hand it out without finding out what the problem actually is!
    TTC#2 Since July 2011
    Me: 29, had two blocked tubes - left was cleared during lap, right was unable to be cleared. PCOS & Stage 2 Endo. DH: 32, SA = perfect
    CLOMID: 4 rounds, 50mg + TI = BFN's. FEMARA: 1 round = no response
    12-24-2012 : Laparoscopy, Softball sized cyst/endo/scar tissue removed.
    Cycle #14 - Feb 2013 : 50mg clomid. Ovidrel Trigger. IUI on 2/14/13 = thin lining, multiple cysts.
    Cycle #15 - no meds, still have cysts, no follicles. Boo!
    Forced break. Continuous BCP for 6 weeks to give my jacked up ovaries a break.
    Cycle #16 actively trying (May/June): Femara, TI = BFN
    Cycle #17- #20 - Med/Treatment break, trying on our own = BFN's all around.
    Cycle #21 - Femara, MORE Femara, Ovidrel and a Christmas IUI = BFN
    MY BLOG -- About DD, TTC and everything in between!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Depo did a number on me. After 18 months I had only 4 periods. I actually went back on BCPs to kick start my body. I've been off BCPs and charting beginning of last cycle. So far things appear to be 'normal'.

GL.

VOTE on my Name List
    Check out my Team Green baby names! P.S. I'm not serious with any of the names
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 9/7/12, EDD 5/15/13
    MW interview said 5/17/13 and changed back to 5/15/13 after first visit
  • Options
    Depo can send you for a loop! I would wait on the Clomid until you get a proper work up. It's a serious drug. I hope you get something worked out. It sounds like quite the roller coaster.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

In all sincerity, if my doctor offered Clomid before recommending we both get a full round of basic tests, I'd get a new doctor. It is a really serious medication. So that's my suggestion. Get a new doctor and get a second opinion. And send your partner for a sperm analysis ASAP, just to back sure his swimmers are in good shape. 

best of luck to you! 

TTC since 8/2012

• Options

imagefuturehick:

Everything is coming up as normal and showing that I am O'ing, just not having a period. 

Snipped to keep it short, How are you confirming O?

• Options

To clarify, I have had a blood test confirming all of my hormones are where they should be and are showing that I am ovulating, just haven't had a period to go with it allowing for implantation.

Also, I don't know if i was 100% clear, my OB doesn't want to just give me a prescription for the Clomid, she said if we insist she would, but she is all for us waiting until at least Feb/Mar of 2013, to allow us to get in our official one year of trying, before we do anymore tests to find out if it is a blocked tube or still remnants of the Depo.  

• Options
    imagefuturehick:

To clarify, I have had a blood test confirming all of my hormones are where they should be and are showing that I am ovulating, just haven't had a period to go with it allowing for implantation.

Also, I don't know if i was 100% clear, my OB doesn't want to just give me a prescription for the Clomid, she said if we insist she would, but she is all for us waiting until at least Feb/Mar of 2013, to allow us to get in our official one year of trying, before we do anymore tests to find out if it is a blocked tube or still remnants of the Depo.  

Say what? It is physically impossible to ovulate and not have a period. Unless, of course it's the infamous clear period. :) ETA: you can ovulate and not have a period if you are ku.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagefuturehick:

One single bloodtest can't confirm all your hormone levels are where they should be.  Hormone levels vary at different points in your cycle, so estrogen, FSH, and LH are all tested early on and before ovulation and progesterone (the only thing that can confirm O) is done after ovulation.   IF your bloodwork was just last week and progesterone was high enough to confirm O, then you should be getting a period or a positive test within the next week or so.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"