Georgia Babies
Options

Good resources that compare private schools?

I know everyone has their own opinion about which private schools are best (and public, for that matter) but we are starting to look into what our options will be and I'm wondering if there are any good resources to find out information about the various private schools in Atlanta and maybe get some info on what things to look at when comparing them, etc.

For that matter, if anyone on here has done any research and would be willing to share what you have found with me please let me know.  Thanks! 

Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
my blog

Re: Good resources that compare private schools?

• Options

We went to several private school fairs, generally in the Fall I think, and then did our own research. I never found a good one stop site to compare them, but we spent a LOT of time looking at schools. I didn't look at any OTP but if you are interested in any ITP let me know. DS just started at a private school today, for pre-k.

Also, go to the open houses of ones you are interested in, both out of school hours and during the day, and ask LOTS of questions! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I honestly find the best sources of information to be neighbors and colleagues with children in the various schools. Given where we live, this tends to be a diverse group of schools. Are you looking intown?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I work at a private school. If you are interested I know a decent amount about some of the bigger schools.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have a question for you, if you don't mind. We're in one of the better APS elementary school districts, but we're unhappy with the anticipated size and configuration of the middle school. So we're torn over whether to apply for our older son to start in Kindergarten at a private school (he just started preschool) or to try to switch him after 5th grade at our local elementary. Our worry is that so many people we know now plan to switch after 5th grade that demand for seats may be quite high at that point. We've heard that some schools may be adding capacity, though. E.g., we've heard that Woodward added a new kindergarten class for this year. Do you have any sense of whether schools are going to add capacity or how demand has been affected by all of the redistricting around town? Do you think it would be safer to try to get our son into a good school now? Or would that be just as difficult as waiting? We're not native Atlantans, so we aren't legacies anywhere. We've heard very good things from people we trust about Paideia, Pace and Westminster, among others. Thanks!
  • Options

imagelowkeybride2be:
    I have a question for you, if you don't mind. We're in one of the better APS elementary school districts, but we're unhappy with the anticipated size and configuration of the middle school. So we're torn over whether to apply for our older son to start in Kindergarten at a private school (he just started preschool) or to try to switch him after 5th grade at our local elementary. Our worry is that so many people we know now plan to switch after 5th grade that demand for seats may be quite high at that point. We've heard that some schools may be adding capacity, though. E.g., we've heard that Woodward added a new kindergarten class for this year. Do you have any sense of whether schools are going to add capacity or how demand has been affected by all of the redistricting around town? Do you think it would be safer to try to get our son into a good school now? Or would that be just as difficult as waiting? We're not native Atlantans, so we aren't legacies anywhere. We've heard very good things from people we trust about Paideia, Pace and Westminster, among others. Thanks!

We struggled with this too (we are ITP but not APS, we are Dekalb) and decided to go with starting now, and started our son at pre-k today at a fairly big private school, which feeds into Marist at either the 7th or 9th grade level. If you are going to go for a school like the 3 you mentioned (and I would strongly recommend going to visit because Paideia is vastly different from the other 2 and I can not imagine that someone who is interested in it would also apply to Pace or Westminster) you should see what their hardest entry points are, ask their admission directors. For Paideia it is probably pre-k and k, for Westminster it is probably k and 6th (I know a lot of kids do elementary at Trinity and go over to Westminster in 6th) and I would imagine Pace is the same. I know private schools had a record number of applicants for this 2012-2013 year in Atlanta so that is something to keep in mind. 

• Options
    Thanks for the replies.  Dana - I will send you a message.  Andrea - We are looking both ITP and OTP.  Trying to get a feel for what our options are.  We'll definitely be visiting but just trying to figure out a good starting point.  I will send you a message, too.  Thanks!
    my blog
  • Options

Hey Jennifer -

Start with the Atlanta Association of Independent Schools https://www.aaais.org/.  Nearly every metro area private school is a member.  I second the suggestion of attending open houses, fall festivals, etc.

I would also suggest checking with your childcare provider to find out if they offer a private school seminar.  Rowan's school hosts one every Fall, but I think a lot of other preschools do this as well.  Also, find out if your pre-school offers any assistance to parents considering private school (i.e. lists of psychologists who administer the JTEP or coordinating the letters of recommendation). 

Fair warning, the process is more time consuming than applying to college! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

imagelowkeybride2be:

I think it depends on the school you want to attend whether it is tough to get in later on. It is a good idea to go to the open house. Most are in Jan or Feb. Talk to the admission people.

I work and Woodward and we did not add a Kindergarten class to accommodate more students.  We piloted a PreK program at the main campus. There was a lot of interest so they added another PreK class. Unless the enrollment stays up that extra class will be eliminated next year. It is very difficult to just add class due to enrollment so it doesn't happen often. Enrollment may be up at many private schools this year but it is only because it has been down for the past several years. Our enrollment is strong but there is still "room" for people. And personally from what I have heard from many other teachers that work at other private schools around Atlanta getting in is not as hard as everyone thinks right now. A long time ago that was the case but not as much now. You just have to play the game which is time consuming and jumping through a lot of hoops.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagedleigh2020:

And personally from what I have heard from many other teachers that work at other private schools around Atlanta getting in is not as hard as everyone thinks right now. A long time ago that was the case but not as much now. You just have to play the game which is time consuming and jumping through a lot of hoops.

Interesting, this has not been my experience as a parent going through the process (and speaking with my friends who have all gone through it this year as well). We applied to 2 and got on the wait list for 1 and in at the other. I have multiple friends whose kids were waitlisted at various schools around the area (Cliff Valley, Paideia, Trinity, Galloway, OLA, AIS), all for pre-k. I am not disagreeing that perhaps enrollment was down for a few years but there is a huge influx of parents applying for private schools ITP now, especially given the current state of Dekalb and some APS schools. I know nothing about Woodward since we decided it was too far for us, but we looked at all the ones I mentioned above, as well as where my son is now, and it was not as simple as just applying and jumping through hoops.  

• Options

That's comforting that Woodward hasn't seen a huge increase in demand. I'm surprised, though. I had heard about the extra K class from a Children's School mom who told me they might have extra spaces at the Children's School because some kids had moved over to Woodward when they opened the extra class (to be in the same school as their older siblings). She must have been thinking of the pre-K class, though. That makes sense since our son will be going into pre-K next fall.

Anyway, I do think a lot more people are going to be trying to switch after 5th grade than have historically. Almost everyone we know has that plan now. The APS middle schools don't look like good choices going forward. It sounds like DeKalb has significant issues after elementary school, too. I suspect the flood is going to start this year and then get bigger and bigger.

I would really love to use the local elementary school, which everyone says is excellent. Plus, our son will have a few friends there. But I think we will go to some open houses. Thanks!

• Options
    imagelowkeybride2be:
    That's comforting that Woodward hasn't seen a huge increase in demand. I'm surprised, though. I had heard about the extra K class from a Children's School mom who told me they might have extra spaces at the Children's School because some kids had moved over to Woodward when they opened the extra class to be in the same school as their older siblings. She must have been thinking of the preK class, though. That makes sense since our son will be going into preK next fall. Anyway, I do think a lot more people are going to be trying to switch after 5th grade than have historically. Almost everyone we know has that plan now. The APS middle schools don't look like good choices going forward. It sounds like DeKalb has significant issues after elementary school, too. I suspect the flood is going to start this year and then get bigger and bigger.I would really love to use the local elementary school, which everyone says is excellent. Plus, our son will have a few friends there. But I think we will go to some open houses. Thanks!

Don't get me wrong we saw increased enrollment. It was a good year but enrollment wasn't off the charts. And yes your friend was thinking about prek not k. We probably also got several kids from the childrens school bc their old president now works at WA.
    You are right, with all the changes in surrounding school districts it's likely it will increase enrollment for the next few years for most private schools. Im pretty sure Our biggest openings are in k, 7th, and 9th. Good luck making your decision.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thanks!

And for the OP: Check out Atlanta Magazine. They have a lot of information about Atlanta-area private schools, including sizes and when they have their expansion years. It's also interesting to see which schools start in preschool or pre-K versus kindergarten (or pre-first). It looks like that affects how many spaces are available at each entry point. Good luck!

• Options
    Thanks everyone!  Lots of great info.  I appreciate it!
    my blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"