Preemies
Options

Air travel with an apnea monitor?

We're flying in a couple of weeks and I have a question for the moms out there.  Adalyn is using the apnea monitor when she sleeps and we're going to be taking it with us.  Has anyone done this?  The lady from the medical equipment company told us that some airlines care about having an MD letter and others don't.  I've already contacted my airline (let's see if they email me back--if not, I will call next week) and checked the TSA.  The TSA website is a little weird since it says that infants will be attached to an apnea monitor during the screening process, but it is under patients traveling with oxygen.  

Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA!

TTC Since July 2008.
Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
FET 1 3/2013 BFN
FET 2 5/2013 BFN
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Air travel with an apnea monitor?

• Options

Lots of experience with a monitor but we never flew - here's what I would have done, though. I would have asked the pedi if it was OK to turn it off for the flight because we'd be watching LO. That's usually all right with them. I'd also get a letter from the pedi just in case stating what it's for just in case there's any funny business at the gate (or they tell you no, you've got to have it on). But yeah, I'd make sure that bad boy is charged all the way and just visually monitor LO. I'd also disclaimer that in the beginning his B's were so bad he was having an average of 15/day at home with a 1-2 needing stim and changing color. No way in heck would I have flown with him during that stage of the game - only after he was cleared to be off it during the day (our last two months were to have it on while sleeping unless we were with him like during a nap).

Edit: I would have had the letter regardless of whether the airline required one or not - I like to cover my toosh and have had too many incidents where companies aren't on the same page. 

K - that turned into 8 cents. HTH! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"