June 2011 Moms
Options

Will you use a baby leash?

I know that this was discussed when we were pregnant but I wanted to see what everyone thought now that we all pretty much have mobile LO's. Will you leash your child?
[Poll]
~ Cassie ~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BabyFetus Ticker
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Will you use a baby leash?

• Options

I voted "Still undecided/maybe". I have thought about it a few times. Sometimes Avery gets restless sitting in the stroller/cart at the grocery store and she wants down. There is no way I can put her down because she would be every where. I think sometimes if I had a baby leash it might make things easier. But who knows.

I am not against them at all for anyone. To each their own. 

~ Cassie ~

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I used to be one of those arrogant people who would judge families who used leashes. However, I had NO idea how a toddler really acted. I still don't think we will use one, but I am MUCH more understanding about them now, especially while pregnant with a toddler.

I also want my LO to learn boundaries, and it said in my toddler book that they think using leashes delays your child learning limitations. Not sure.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I voted SS - It's not that I'm "All for them" but I will probably need to use one. I have MS and it is hard for me to keep up with her sometimes. I just worry about getting to her fast enough in certain situations. If it keeps the baby safer and not screaming because they are sitting in a stroller then I don't see the harm. Especially those backpack style ones.
  • Options
    imagemagnoliablossom00:

I used to be one of those arrogant people who would judge families who used leashes. However, I had NO idea how a toddler really acted. I still don't think we will use one, but I am MUCH more understanding about them now, especially while pregnant with a toddler.

I also want my LO to learn boundaries, and it said in my toddler book that they think using leashes delays your child learning limitations. Not sure.

I think if a leash was used in every situation (all the time in public) that it could possibly delay those limitations. The only time I would even think that we would use one is like the example above.

~ Cassie ~

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagemagnoliablossom00:

I will admit that I judged those people too. But now can see the benefits of them. I don't know if it'll ever be something I do...but I'm less judgmental about them now, that's for sure!

~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    I don't care for them for my own child. I can't think of any circumstance where I couldn't use either the stroller or just carry her on my hip or back in the Ergo. I feel more comfortable with using either of those than I am with the idea of a leash. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options
    I voted SS. I am not against them at all, but I just don't plan on using one for Em. If needed, I will or if my next child is more crazy I may. I'm just not planning to at the time.... I did see the cutest leash on a little boy at the zoo today though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MIL being her ever so helpful self have us the little back pack looking type. Looks like a monkey...and the leash is the tail.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options
    Not sure we'll use it though...I hate when we're given things..when people don't know our thoughts on them and then feel like I have to use it..

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options

No, I could never use a leash on my child or children and its not cause I'm being judje-y It is because after going to Six Flags and the mall with Mamabear and seeing her able to deal with 5 kids under the age of 7 without resulting to leashes I would feel like a complete failure needing to tie my one daughter to anything to keep her with me.

• Options
    My child is a runner, won't sit in the stroller and I'm having another LO in 3 months.  So, yes I am considering one. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm definitely not opposed to using them. I actually bought one a couple of weeks ago but haven't used it yet. Z will only stand to be in her stroller for so long, then is crying/squirming to get out. If I take her out and carry her, she's struggling because she wants to be walking around. I'm thinking that at least with a leash she can walk, but I can still keep her away from things she shouldn't touch. Like others have said, to each their own.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageann_jeremiah:
    Not sure we'll use it though...I hate when we're given things..when people don't know our thoughts on them and then feel like I have to use it..

I totally understand- for Christmas MIL gave me not 1, but 2 "bottle buddies"- a stuffed animal with a huge opening where its mouth should be so that you can put a bottle in there and it's easier for them to hold.  I BF and only used bottles in rare situations, and by the time she gave them to us, M could hold a bottle just fine if she had to.  Plus I read they're not safe for babies and the things look creepy as heck!

As far as whether I plan to use a baby leash- I don't plan to at this time.  But we haven't hit terrible 2's yet either, lol.  Maybe in a very crowded place- like the airport when you're juggling LO and baggage and they can get away from you easily.  

• Options
    imagetulipblossom:

No, I could never use a leash on my child or children and its not cause I'm being judje-y It is because after going to Six Flags and the mall with Mamabear and seeing her able to deal with 5 kids under the age of 7 without resulting to leashes I would feel like a complete failure needing to tie my one daughter to anything to keep her with me.

Go Mamabear!! 

• Options
    Dh's best friend bought us one as a joke. I have been tempted to use it a few times, but I think I would feel so self concious! She is just in that phase where she wants to walk everywhere but I have a hard time bending down to hold her hand. I don't judge now, but I don't think we will ever use it.
  • Options

I used to judge the leash-users too, but since becoming a parent I've learned to "never say never." I don't plan to use one but I suppose a situation could come about when I would use it. 

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Options
    I judged before. I do not judge now. We will not though. I don't want to be stared at and judged! LOL
  • Options

imageMommaA117:
    I judged before. I do not judge now. We will not though. I don't want to be stared at and judged! LOL

Haha, yea, that's probably the biggest reason I wouldn't use one at this point. :-P

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Options
    I voted No, because I thought it always looked like a dog on a leash, but now that DD hates sitting in her stroller and cart for more than 20 minutes, I understand why people use them, but I don't see this ever being a good option for us.
    BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • Options
    imagesunshine336:
    imagetulipblossom:

Go Mamabear!! 

LOL Tulip... Yes, putting my child on a leash isn't something that is right for our family. I prefer the kids know where there limits are and learn to listen when I say stop. I don't think the use of a leash is horrible, however I DO judge the people that aren't paying any attention to their child when using one. HELLO the leash is not a substitute for your parenting.  Your child can still get into things, bump into people, knock things over etc.  I understand if your kid tends to bolt, but you still need to LOOK AT THEM.

/vent

Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    imagecvl105:
    imagemagnoliablossom00:

I will admit that I judged those people too. But now can see the benefits of them. I don't know if it'll ever be something I do...but I'm less judgmental about them now, that's for sure!

Ditto this! 

• Options
    I still think it's a no for us, but I do get it. The other day I ran into CVS with Lexi and didn't grab a cart so I let her stand in the aisle. I leaned down to pick up a bottle of benadryl, turned around and she was gone. Found her running down the next aisle over, thrilled with her freedom. Gulp!
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    The first time I saw someone using a leash was at a very busy 4th of July festival, while pg with DS, on two twin boys. I didn't judge her for using it, I wouldn't want to lose my kids in that crowd. Yes we have one for DS and yes we used it for a time. IMHO he was safer and happier with it. Today he'll grab it put it on but we've since taken the lead off of it. We have the monkey backpack. I think some kids need it and some kids don't. It's not fair for you to judge a parent's decision to use it. 
    This is my AE.
  • Options

I used to think I never would and that it was wrong...now not so much.

It seems like it may be the only way to keep Ashur safe. He wont sit in a shopping cart, can get out of the worthless seatbelts on the cart and will put a ton of effort into climbing out. He will only put up with being carried for so long before he is trying to jump out of our arms, and when we put him down he fights to let go of our hands and then goes running off to wherever.

I am starting to think a leash is the only way to preserve our sanity!

• Options

We will not be using one except for in theme parks.  They're just too busy for my liking and DS LOVVVVVES to explore.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"