Preemies
Options

Vent: Delayed discharge & getting answers (LONG)

I need to vent, so I apologize for the length. We almost had him home today (thanks in part to the pushing of a wonderful nurse and despite a lousy night nurse 2 days ago), but he brady'd during his 9am feed. The doctor (not his usual) was also concerned because he lost 10g. So I was very insistent on finding out what he needs to get home and she finally said 3 days with no bradys. 

We just called to check on him and his nurse says he lost 20g and his feeding orders are 50-70mL. He's been on 60 for almost 2 weeks, but they just changed his formula to a lower calorie one because he's been really fussy/gassy and the new one is more gentle. So we asked to speak to the doctor (same one). She didn't want to amend the orders because the nurses say sometimes 50 is all he can do. We counter that he's losing weight and generally gets hungry after 2-2.5 hours, so esp with the lower cal formula, maybe he should be getting more. She finally agreed to look into switching to feed-on-demand, so he can eat more often instead of forcing him to finish more. 

This is the first time we're getting really assertive and to be honest, the doctor gives the impression that she's humoring us - that we're overreacting or something. I'm trying to remember and remind my husband that we've been pretty laid-back for the past 11 weeks, and haven't really questioned his care and sometimes we do need to stand up for him. It's especially frustrating because there doesn't seem to be alot of consistency between nurses or between doctors orders.

What did you find was the best way to speak up and get the doctors to answer questions or listen to concerns?
My deal is that I am going to murder your puppies and piss on your rainbows. -diablesse Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Vent: Delayed discharge & getting answers (LONG)

• Options
    DrRxDrRx member

I think that it's great that you are asking to do on-demand feeding.  We had a bit of a modified on-demand where our daughter had to eat every 3 to 4 hours and eat a certain amount within a 12 hour period.  It really helped things than having to eat every 3 hours.  I mean, think about it.  Do you eat the same amount throughout the day?

GL and I hope that he starts gaining weight again soon! Keep us posted!

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Wow our stories are very similar. We just started week 12 in the NICU and are just days away from going home. hopefully! The discharge date was supposed to be two weeks ago but that obviously didn't happen.

We just switched to an on demand feeding schedule and I really think it's helping. Like the pp said, who eats the same amount all the time? We dont so why do we expect these little guys to do it? Honestly I just got lucky with that request. My favorite nurse practitioner was working and I was able to put a bug in her ear about it.

Last week though we did get very assertive with one of the docs over the oxygen issue with our little one. I don't even know how we got so assertive bc we aren't usually that way but there comes a time when enough is enough. We were tired of the inconsistency between docs too and just had to get it out.

I'm sorry I don't have a lot of advice for you. I'm just commiserating. Good luck to you. Hopefully we'll both be home soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You are your LO's best advocate - and you should be assertive. On demand feeding may be exactly what he needs.  I remember those last days in the NICU - I was so desperate to get her home - it seemed so ridiculous to me that they would keep her but in the end they really did know when she was ready.  I know its hard when you are so close but remember that the doctors want whats best for your baby and you, and staying a few more days is better than a re-admission by ambulance.  The home stretch was the hardest for me - I was there 117 days.  It feels like it will never happen now but before you know it you guys will be home!
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageadrielegorburu:
    You are your LO's best advocate - and you should be assertive. On demand feeding may be exactly what he needs.  I remember those last days in the NICU - I was so desperate to get her home - it seemed so ridiculous to me that they would keep her but in the end they really did know when she was ready.  I know its hard when you are so close but remember that the doctors want whats best for your baby and you, and staying a few more days is better than a re-admission by ambulance.  The home stretch was the hardest for me - I was there 117 days.  It feels like it will never happen now but before you know it you guys will be home!

This! Your doing the right thing by demanding they feed him on demand. A few days before my DD#2 came home from NICU she started to finally gain weight and was increasing her feeds by leaps and bounds. This was one of the things that was holding us back, along with brady's. I too asked that they start feeding her on demand, instead of every 3 hours. This worked for us and then following day she came home. 

Praying that you get to bring your LO home soon. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"