C-sections

37 week c/s come on in...

My doctor never mentioned this  shot, but I am invited to participate in a study of getting the shot for the lung development.  I am not sure if I want to participate or not.  It is a shot in the butt given within 24 hours of each other and then they monitor the baby and I have to keep a journal for 6 months after.  

I guess they give the steriod shot for c/s babies before 34 weeks but are studying the effects of giving it up to 38 weeks with a c/s.  I will be 37 weeks 3 days with this one. 

What would you do?   

Re: 37 week c/s come on in...

• Well, if there is no real reason for the shot (which at 37 weeks there shouldn't be), I wouldn't get it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had an amnio yesterday at 37w1d to check on the lungs for a tomorrow c/s.  I got the call today that the lungs were very mature.  I think by this point, they typically are good to go.

To me, I'm not sure I would do any kind of study that involved my unborn child.

BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • Loading the player...
  • hmmm... sounds interesting.  I got steriod shots two separate times in my pregnacy at 24 weeks and then again at 28 weeks.  It stings like heck.  Like any drug, it's not without potential side effects.  However I don't know what harm it could do to a baby who's lungs are likely mature already.  The steriods are to help the baby produce surfactant.  I would need more information about this if I were you, but I would be hesitant.  What benefit do you recieve from it?
  • I would consider it. I'd look into the side effects and all that sort of thing.  I assume they are doing the study because there could potentially be benefits to the baby, so as long as the risks were minimal, I'd think about it. Definitely not an easy decision though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a c/s at 37 weeks. Granted, it wasn't planned (my pre-e was getting out of control) but my son was born very healthy & I would not allow the shots this time knowing that. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I declined the study...I just didn't want the added stress and then being bothered for the next 6 months by the study people.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"