Preemies
Options

Milk production

Ive been diligently pumping since the csection but not getting enough milk to make a drop in the bottle! Today is day 5 after surgery. But with delivery so early and my LO in the nicu, will it take very long to make enough to actually be able to give the nicu a bottle for LO?

I've also read of mother's milk tea. Has anyone tried it and had success?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Milk production

• Options

Have you talked to the LC about your milk production yet?  Have you been drinking lots of water? 

My LO was born at 32 weeks, also via c-section...the first couple days of pumping, I was only producing a tiny amount...like maybe 10 mls total (if that) between both breasts.  I think within a week I was producing a LOT more...like almost an ounce at each pumping.  Eventually I got to 2 ounces per breast, but if I slacked on my water intake, my milk supply would really suffer. 

I never did try the tea...one of the LCs at the hospital suggested fenugreek, which I also didn't try...I have heard a lot of moms having success with that though. 

Don't give up! 

IMG_0293

Mr. & Mrs. 10/2/10 | Dx w/PCOS March 2011
    BFP - 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks 
    BFP - 1/07/14 | EDD 9/20/14

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Try not to be discouraged, this is very common.  I agree with PP, lots of water and lots of pumping.... as often as you can but at least 8 times a day.  

I dont think I got much of anything until day 4 or 5.  There were lots of things not in my favor... first birth, c-section, traumatic delivery/blood loss, micropreemie... all those things make it very difficult.  My supply slowly increased for MONTHS and didnt plateau until I cut back my pumping sessions.

Hang in there, you are doing a great job! 

mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Good comments from all.  Are you using a hospital grade double pump?  If not rent one ASAP!  For the first several weeks I pumped every 3 hours around the clock, and yes set alarm clock overnight.  After a few weeks I would go longer overnight- and give myself a 6 hour stretch.  Also, get yourself a pumping bra for handsfree!  Hope that milk comes in soon.  It took a few days for me, but I was able to provide my son (29 weeker) with 100% pumped BM for 6 months before i had to supplement with some formula.  I was able to keep up pumping for 9 months before I succumbed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wow! Thank you for all the advice! I definiteky had the traumatic delivery, emergency CS at 29 weeks!

I've been pumping every 2 hours during the day and twice at night. We did rent the hospital grade pump.

Will pumping both breasts at the same time help or hurt production? I've been doing one at a time.

How much water should I be drinking in a day?

Will a higher setting on the pump bring in milk faster?

Thank you very much!
  • Options

How long do you pump each time?  You should be pumping for 15-20 min each session.  Double pumping is the way to go.  It is more efficient.  You already spend so much time pumping, you might as well save a little time by doing them both at once.

Were you on Magnesium Sulfate?  That can also slow your milk coming in.

Your NICU should have Lactation Consultants that you can talk to. They should be able to make sure your set up is correct for you (including the amount of suction) and suggest when to try additional supplements.  My LCs had a target for the end of two weeks.  I wasn't quite there so I started taking Fenugreek after talking to the LC.

You should drink to thirst.  But, you should also be drinking every time you pump.  You don't need to go crazy, and if you aren't thirsty, don't force it.  Your LC or OB may have more specific guidelines, but as long as you are drinking throughout the day, it should be enough. 

It is totally normal for it to be slower since your baby was so early and your body wasn't ready.  Good luck.  

• Options
    I had colostrum before my milk came in on about day 5.  I wouldn't stress too much just yet.  Continued pumping at every 2-3 hours during the day and try to allow yourself at least a 4-5 hour stretch at night.  Sleep is also so important in addition to drinking lots of water and eating plenty of calories.
  • Options
    DrRxDrRx member
    imageMrs. Alice:
    I had colostrum before my milk came in on about day 5.  I wouldn't stress too much just yet.  Continued pumping at every 2-3 hours during the day and try to allow yourself at least a 4-5 hour stretch at night.  Sleep is also so important in addition to drinking lots of water and eating plenty of calories.
    All of this! GL!
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imagejullybean:
    Wow! Thank you for all the advice! I definiteky had the traumatic delivery, emergency CS at 29 weeks! I've been pumping every 2 hours during the day and twice at night. We did rent the hospital grade pump. Will pumping both breasts at the same time help or hurt production? I've been doing one at a time. How much water should I be drinking in a day? Will a higher setting on the pump bring in milk faster? Thank you very much!

Pumping both breasts at the same time will definitely help, not hurt production. I've heard that double-pumping stimulates prolactin production better.

You should be drinking at least the recommended 64 ounces per day, and beyond that whatever you need to to quench thirst. The easiest way to do that is to drink one 8 oz. glass of water before each pumping session. If you are pumping at least 8x a day, that will get you your water requirement.

A higher setting is good, but not if it causes you pain. Pain is counterproductive. I generally start a pumping session at about 75% pumping strength and then after a minute or two I bring it up to 100%. 

March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"