Two Under 2
Options

potty training question - WWYD?

Hello ladies!  I did an online quiz (real scientific, I know!) and according to it, DD (19 mos.)  is completely ready to potty train - EXCEPT for one factor:  major life change.  Aka... lil bro countdown, T-minus 2 weeks untill EDD!  Soo, I'm thinking we keep doing what we're doing (wearing diapers, but letting her use the potty when she asks)... until we get settled in and she gets used to the little guy being around.  Do you agree, would this be the best plan of action?  Or would you suck it up, and let her start wearing big girl panties now?  I just don't want to make her wait if she really is ready just because I'm feeling to big & lazy to clean up accidents, and not looking forward to new baby setbacks in her progress.

Re: potty training question - WWYD?

• Options

I would most definitely wait a while. Just because she's ready now doesn't mean she's not going to be ready in another 3-4 months. I would definitely assume she's going to regress even if you did get her fully trained.

My son showed all the signs of readiness around 2y3m, but we waited until 2.5 because I wanted to do it in the summer and not do a 7 hour road trip with a newly potty trained toddler. Making him wait didn't hinder the process when we did it. On the contrary, I think it was easier because he was a little older.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with KC - wait. DD1 was just about 19 months when DD2 was born. About 3 weeks before my EDD she started asking to sit on the potty. No way was I going to potty train at that point and have her regress when her sister was born, and no way was I going to potty train with a newborn.

So we did just what you said - kept her in diapers, but let her sit on the potty when she asked. After a few months of that, we started sitting her as part of our routine before/after naps, morning, before bed. By the time she was 25 months I think she was really ready to train, but I chose to wait until summer to do it. She's now day trained and only wears a diaper for naps/night.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  That seemed most logical, but I just felt a little guilty - didn't want to hold her back!  Smile  Was starting to think I'm the only person out there who is NOT in a rush to get their baby potty trained... a lot of my friends have been trying with theirs, and some don't even seem ready.
  • Options
    I would also wait - we did it at 2y5m with my older son and it only took 3 days.  I think if I had tried it earlier it would have been stressful and frustrating for us both, even if he 'seemed' ready.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would wait it out too and do what you said - diapers but let her go if she asks. The only reason I pted ds1 just 4ks before ds3 came is b/c he as about to turn 3 and it was totally his idea to wear big boy underwear. It wasn't my plan but it as his and he only had a few accidents since he decided this in may. There as no way I was pushign ds2 to do it even though he asks to sti on the potty all the time. I'm still not pushing it with him.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are planning on doing the same.  My daughter will be about 26 months when little man comes and I'm going to wait a few months after his birth, when she's about 2 1/2.  No rush in this house :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

<--- Also waited

We started getting DD1 used to the potty when she was maybe 20 months. I knew I didn't want to deal with potty training AND a newborn, so we didn't push it. I'd sit her on her little potty before bath time and otherwise would leave her alone unless she asked for it. She was a little under 22 months when her sister came along.

I waited until we were all adjusted to the new baby to start really working on potty training. But most importantly, I waited for a time where I knew I would be ok with not leaving the house for several days. Strangely enough, that time came the week between Christmas and New Years, so when DD1 was 27 months old. Worked out great for us.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"