2nd Trimester

What can you see in a sonogram of a baby girl??

I'm mid-fight with someone.

Can you actually SEE ovaries in a sonogram???  I was under the impression that you couldn't, and they tell male/female based on external genitals.  

Am I wrong?  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: What can you see in a sonogram of a baby girl??

• I think you can see ovaries on an ultrasound since you can see a lot of other organs.

That said, I think they do look at external genitalia during the anatomy scan when determining sex of the fetus. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, you cannot see ovaries in an U/S. Typically they look for a penis & balls or 3 lines that are the labia.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Wouldn;t ovaries be too small to see in a sonogram though??
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That's a good question...now i'm curious.  But for what it's worth my sonographer said..."well i don't see boy parts so...it's a girl"  I wasn't really thrilled with her or how she said it lol. 
    BabyName Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Our tech said for males they look for the equipment and for females it's 3 white lines..we had 3 white lines that were clear enough I knew what it was before she said it.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• They look for three parallel, bright lines, which are the labia and clitoris. They don't look for the ovaries.

We saw DD's vagina clearly at 20 weeks.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageLovinTim912:
    Wouldn;t ovaries be too small to see in a sonogram though??

Yes, they do not point them out. They cannot see them. They look for external organs to determine sex.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes, you can:

https://www.ultrasound-images.com/fetal-abdomen.htm#Fetal_ovarian_cyst_-fetal_dermoid_cyst_vs._twisted_ovarian_cyst

but that's typically not what they look for to determine the sex.  They look for testicles and penis on a boy (pretty easy to see) and three lines on a girl. It's not "well there's no penis so it must be a girl," because there is something to be seen if it is a girl.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • You can't see ovaries on a sonogram at 17 weeks. Not at the level of ultrasound that you normally receive at that time, at least.  

Girls have 3 white lines that shows it's a girl. Boys, like mine, have an obvious 1 line.

Now, this is based on what the women in my birth month board have talked about and information we have exchanged with one another.

Girl

Boy 

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • When I had my anatomy scan the tech said "see those three little lines?  she's a girl."  I had no clue what I was looking at but it looked like it was on the inside.

But now I know from reading the above posts, lol.

• I have never heard anyone mention looking at or for ovaries, but then again, I only have a boy.  This time around, we suspect that I am having a girl.  No boy parts seen at my last sonogram, but my bladder was so full that it took up half the screen.  If you could see the ovaries, then why wouldn't my doctor have checked for them then?  That was my thinking.  

(And I do go to a high-risk OB as well, since I am a diabetic.  I have an appt tomorrow and am going to ask about this.  THey have more advanced machines for the sonograms than my regular OB does.  I will let you gals know!) 

• imagekerbear135:
    Our tech said for males they look for the equipment and for females it's 3 white lines..we had 3 white lines that were clear enough I knew what it was before she said it.

This. With DD it was really obvious, and from TB I knew what to look for, so I knew before my OB said anything. I have no idea whether ovaries could be seen on the u/s at that stage. It seems like they would be too small, but who knows. That's definitely not how they identify the sex, though.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I thought they'd be too small to see too!
  • not at that early for sure, and I don't think you can at all, but maybe.
    They determine by external features though, yes. you are right
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"