September 2011 Moms
Options

**Allergy Testing Mamas**

Would anyone be willing to fill me in on the process? We are going on Wednesday, and my H made the appointment but didn't ask any thing about it!

What should I expect?

What all do they test for?

What should I bring?

TIA!

Edit: I should add,  this is allergy testing for LO, not me :)

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: **Allergy Testing Mamas**

• Options

Are you actually getting the testing done or is it the first consult appt? In general, expect to be there about an hour. Wear no perfumes, lotions. etc on your body. Testing is done on one of two places, either the inside of your arms or your back. If you are getting comprehensive testing done, it will be more than one appt. I had to come back 3 times bc I got tested for everything. They will first have you lay on your belly on the table, then they will start by writing stuff in rows on ur back in marker after cleaning the area. They will then start placing individual drops of various serums of allergens on ur back then take this little thing that looks like a tiny claw and then irritate the area. It's an annoying scratching feeling, but not painful. They will do this across ur entire back. They will then set a timer and leave the room. You will start to know immediately the things you are allergic to bc it will start itching like crazy and there is nothing you can do but sit there and suffer. They come back into the room in like 20 mins and they doctor will rate your "spots" on a scale of 0-4 with 0 being no reaction and 4 being the worst. I had to go back a second time and they repeated this whole process with a whole new set of allergens. The third time was food allergy testing I believe. Then the doctor will most likely recommend allergy shots that are tailor made to meet your needs. You start with 1x a week until you reach ur maintenance dose, then you will gradually over several years work your way into every other week, every 3rd week, once a month, then none. But this process all depends on your individual needs at the time. HTH! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageGdAsAu:

Are you actually getting the testing done or is it the first consult appt? In general, expect to be there about an hour. Wear no perfumes, lotions. etc on your body. Testing is done on one of two places, either the inside of your arms or your back. If you are getting comprehensive testing done, it will be more than one appt. I had to come back 3 times bc I got tested for everything. They will first have you lay on your belly on the table, then they will start by writing stuff in rows on ur back in marker after cleaning the area. They will then start placing individual drops of various serums of allergens on ur back then take this little thing that looks like a tiny claw and then irritate the area. It's an annoying scratching feeling, but not painful. They will do this across ur entire back. They will then set a timer and leave the room. You will start to know immediately the things you are allergic to bc it will start itching like crazy and there is nothing you can do but sit there and suffer. They come back into the room in like 20 mins and they doctor will rate your "spots" on a scale of 0-4 with 0 being no reaction and 4 being the worst. I had to go back a second time and they repeated this whole process with a whole new set of allergens. The third time was food allergy testing I believe. Then the doctor will most likely recommend allergy shots that are tailor made to meet your needs. You start with 1x a week until you reach ur maintenance dose, then you will gradually over several years work your way into every other week, every 3rd week, once a month, then none. But this process all depends on your individual needs at the time. HTH! 

Thank you for responding! That does not sound fun. I forgot to add that this is allergy testing for G, not me! I am wondering if it is a similar process for babies?

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMRoss1982:

Not sure exactly, but my friend who is a nurse at an allergy clinic said they would not do a skin test at this age, only a blood test. Don't know if that's true for everywhere or not.

Motyma should be able to chime in on this.

Oh, lol yeah. For LO I am pretty sure it's a blood test at this age. I think no skin testing till like 3 maybe...not sure of the exact age. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"