March 2012 Moms

Rice Cereal

We tried it for the first time tonight. LO was not impressed. I had it pretty runny and I'm wondering if that was the case. I know a person is supposed to slowly add thickness. When you offered cereal, for those you have, did you have it a mostly a liquid or did it have some thickness to it right away? 

Our guy didn't really swallow it much. He would open his mouth, and then grimace when I put the cereal in his mouth. Maybe he's not ready? Or do we try it again? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Rice Cereal

• Buy a jar of first stage baby food and try to match the consistency. I like Earth's Best. Honestly, I'd wait a couple of weeks and try again. When they're ready they just somehow know what to do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I first gave DD rice cereal it was very liquidy.  I followed the directions on the package for how much breast milk to add, and it was basically like breast milk with a little bit of texture.  It pretty much seemed like I was spoon feeding her BM.  She reacted funny at first because she had to get used to the spoon, but now she likes it and eats it up.  I have made the texture thicker as time passed, and now I mix veggies in with it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • we use Earth's Best rice cereal and follow the directions on the box.  consistency is a little runny, but def not mostly liquid.  we've been doing rice cereal for two weeks now.  of course he didn't like it at first, even now most of it ends up on his face or on the bib! what i do is feed him a bottle for a few minutes, then give him a little rice cereal from a spoon. alternate from bottle to spoon.  also, i found that I had to switch from the babybjorn spoon (too wide) to the OXO feeding spoon (narrower), much better. 

up to you if you want to keep trying or wait.  we decided to keep trying because DS was really hungry, eating way more ounces of milk, so he was ready for solids. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • The package we had recommended 4-5 tablespoons of BM/formula to 1 tablespoon of rice. I was nowhere near that amount of liquid. I used maybe 1 tablespoon of BM with 1 tablespoon of rice. It was thick enough that it would stay on the spoon pretty easily. DS did well with it.
  • We had a similar experience to you. After a few days and making the cereal thicker each day, we had much better luck. DD didn't really seem to understand what to do when it was so thin. I do 2 TBS to 1/2 - 3/4 oz breastmilk.  

• DD had the same reaction to homemade rice cereal, so we got Earth's Best and made it a bit thicker.  She did much better with it, but let's face it - it is some bland, bland stuff!  We kept at it to get her to learn to take a spoon - but we let her tell us when enough was enough...now she has moved on to her first fruit.  I would just be patient and, even if just one or two spoonfuls, encourage what you can.
  • imagegothgrrl:
    DD had the same reaction to homemade rice cereal, so we got Earth's Best and made it a bit thicker.  She did much better with it, but let's face it - it is some bland, bland stuff!  We kept at it to get her to learn to take a spoon - but we let her tell us when enough was enough...now she has moved on to her first fruit.  I would just be patient and, even if just one or two spoonfuls, encourage what you can.

Also, we did one ounce of breast milk to one tablespoon of cereal to start, and then slowly added more cereal to increase consistency.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"