Illinois Babies

Moving to the Windy City!

Hey girls! I'm currently in Orlando, but my husband just accepted a position at UIC, so we'll be moving up there! I actually lived in Naperville for a few years when I was in elementary school, and I can't wait to raise my son in your city!

We've been looking at the area, and we think Oak Park is for us - seems to be a nice community with great schools, along the blue line (the blue & pink look like the only convenient lines for hubby, and he really wants to take the train), with a lot of older homes that are updated. Is that pretty accurate? And most importantly, will we find other young families there? Our son is 8 months old, and we're in our early 30's... we really want to find friends that live close, as in, walking distance.

And I'd love any other info you want to throw my way about life near Chicago with a baby!

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moving to the Windy City!

• Good luck with the move.  Oak Park is nice, more city like than suburb like.  Lots of families, good schools etc.  Also there is the metra train to get to the city along with the el.   Be prepared for some sticker shock on cost of living though.  House prices/rent are a little bit more in Oak Park than in the Orlando area.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yep, we are prepared to pay more for a smaller house - and higher property taxes! Oh my!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I do think you'll find young families in Oak Park mainly due to its awesome public schools. It has a sort of yuppie/upscale hippie thing going on but that translates into nice amenities like a good retail district, movie theater, stellar farmer's market, etc. I live in Forest Park, just across Harlem Ave, but the culture is a world apart, probably because we don't retain the same demographic of young families due to our school district (Proviso West vs. OPRF). 

BTW the blue line goes right to UIC. I got my undergrad there and my husband used to work there and it's the reason we moved to the area. Before a babe was imminent I thought I could get over the school thing, but now I'm not so sure. 

Anyway... enjoy!  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We live by UIC actually by the undergrad campus area University Village is whats its called...in a condo! Actually our area is very family friendly! 

Oak Park I have heard is nice, but there is a bad part to Oak Park too... but yes good schools from what I have heard, I have never been there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"