St. Louis Babies

Re: (Untitled)

• I have had nothing but amazing experiences at Mercy.  Our first birth experience ended sadly (our dd is with the angels now), and they were so compassionate and wonderful through all of that.  Before she was born, I also spent 8 weeks there on bed rest and got to know many of the nurses, and there were only 1 or 2 I wasn't crazy about  - the rest were wonderful.  After going through that, I knew I'd never deliver anywhere else, not only because of the amazing staff, but because of them being the only hospital with the Level III NICU, so I wanted that extra security.

So when I got pregnant with ds, it was no question where I'd go to deliver. I had another amazing experience, and even more wonderful since we were able to bring him home with us!  I didn't have a single "bad" nurse, and they followed my birth plan exactly how I wanted.  A lot of this will depend on who your doctor is, too.  My OB is very much into a patient getting the birth experience she wants.  So when I said I did not want my water broken artificially, they did not in any way pressure me to have it done.  When I said I wanted limited cervix checks, he told the nurses I was only to have one if I asked for it, after they checked me initially. 

After giving birth, the nursery nurses were amazing and helpful, offering many tips for caring for our son.  The postpartum nurses were great too.

Granted, I don't have the c-section experience, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I think Mercy is a wonderful place.  Plus they're getting all new birthing suites as of January 2013 - I can't wait for that!

• I delivered there with a birth plan. Some of it had to be thrown out because he had meconium in the fluid, but they followed most of it. I was able to get a bedside admit. I've even heard rumor they are changing some of their policies to coincide with the new birthing suites early next year to be more competitive nationally as a birthing hospital and that this will include bedside admits, immediate skin-to-skin, more breastfeeding resources, etc. which are all things I wanted. Not sure if it's true though.

I will say I had a bad experience with the nurse who spent most of my labor with me. She refused to believe I was in labor and that my water broke and didn't admit me for almost 6 hours after I got there. She kept trying to send me home, but a resident allowed me to stay even though the nurse was a b(%*$ about it. She didn't respond to my calls for an hour when I wanted to show her that more fluid had come out and this was the fluid that was green, and therefore showing he had meconium. Anyways, everything turned out fine, and fortunately, there was a shift change right before I had to start pushing, but that nurse will always be the one negative memory from the day of my son's birth. My husband even mentioned it again today. 

We had GREAT nurses once we moved upstairs though. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my daughter at Mercy 1 1/2 years ago and I had room check in for her. She stayed with me the entire hospital visit except for 5 minutes when they took her to do a hearing test. You have to ask for room in baby check when you first go in for delivery. If you wait till after the baby is born to tell them, you won't get it. I'm delivering our 2nd daughter at mercy this coming January and plan on doing the same thing again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"