Pregnant after 35
Options

Scheduled my amnio

DH and I have been back and forth about whether to have an amnio or just use the results from the non-diagnostic tests.  Ultimately, we feel we need to know.  Though I see an MFM, I really wanted one who does amnios all the time.  I'd read about a particular MFM quite a bit (her name seems to come up frequently), so I scheduled the amnio with her.  She seems to be at the forefront of the field, so I thought this might ease my mind.  Now, I sit and panic until the appointment and the subsequent results.

I guess I'm just looking for those of you who can relate. 

image">

image"">
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Re: Scheduled my amnio

• Options

I can relate. I just did the CVS this past week and it was very stressful. However, I am also a need to know person. I also found a doctor who commonly does CVS on twins. The procedure went very smoothly. I had one trans abdominally which will be similar to what you get with the amnio, and it was not so bad. They use a numbing solution to put the needle in, and then you feel them poking around but it's over pretty fast. I just focused on breathing and stared at the ceiling while the procedure was taking place. I would say the worst part is the nerves going into it, and now the waiting. So I am right along with you. But I am just trying to resume normal activities and know that in 2 weeks, we will have some solid answers. The time will go fast.  

When is yours scheduled? Hang in there and feel confident that you will be through this part of the process soon. 

ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I've been there, and made it through!  I "knew" during my 1st tri that I would get the amnio.  As time went on I became less sure.  I got so attached to my baby that I became more worried about the risk of losing him than about being prepared.  Ultimately we went ahead with the amnio.  But I will admit it was agonizing.  I cried there in the Drs. office and my SO wanted to comfort me, said he didn't want to force me to get it but he really wanted to know...

The amnio is somewhat painful.  When the needle pierced into the amniotic sac my whole stomach cramped.  I was really scared.  Truly it was the longest minute or two of my life although I have a feeling labor will be longer. ;o) All went well during the amnio and less than 10 days later I got great results.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a CVS, not amnio, but felt similarly.  I was nervous about having it done, a little because of MC even though the doctor was extremely experienced, but mainly because I didn't know what to expect.  It was abdominal, so possibly similar to an amnio, and not very painful at all.  Waiting for the results was tough, but I think that finding out there were no chromosomal abnormalities really was the point when I started to enjoy my pregnancy.  I was so worried before then, because of my age.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you to all of you for the support and kind words. Talking with others, who are in the same/similar positions, truly helps make sense of this hurdle.  The amnio is scheduled for August 27.  I guess the next 3-4 weeks will incur a lot of figurative nail biting.
    image">

image"">
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    I'm only 9 weeks, but this is my first pregnancy and I just turned 37 last week. I've been thinking about amnio but I'm scared. I'm scared to know. I'm scared not to know. I have my first ultrasound in two weeks and I will discuss amnio more with my doctor. But I am a little nervous about the procedure in general.Confused
  • Options
    Good luck! The waiting sucks but it is so worth it when you know that everything is fine,.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Lurking here...my LO is now 7.5 months. We had an amnio scheduled and when we went in for the appointment we decided against it because the DR seemed so confident from the more detailed ultra-sound (more detailed that at the regular Dr's office) that we had a healthy baby. So try not to stress and keep in mind you have options and can decide against it at the time if that's what feels right. Good luck :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"