Dads & Dads-to-be

For those dads who have/will

For those of you who have gone through a c-section delivery, was it just me, or was the 20 minutes or so between your wife/fiancee/girlfriend going into the surgery room and you being allowed to go the LONGEST time of your life?  I was left in the recovery room with 1 light on and nothing but my thoughts to occupy me.  Found myself talking to God in there, hoping for the safety of my wife and son (which everything went completely OK) and I'm honestly not that religious.

For those dads who will experience this, just a heads up... at least for me, it seemed to be an eternity waiting.  Once you get in the room, it seems to go quick, but once you get separated to prep her for the surgery, takes forever.

Re: For those dads who have/will

• imageColtsdad:

For those of you who have gone through a c-section delivery, was it just me, or was the 20 minutes or so between your wife/fiancee/girlfriend going into the surgery room and you being allowed to go the LONGEST time of your life?  I was left in the recovery room with 1 light on and nothing but my thoughts to occupy me.  Found myself talking to God in there, hoping for the safety of my wife and son (which everything went completely OK) and I'm honestly not that religious.

For those dads who will experience this, just a heads up... at least for me, it seemed to be an eternity waiting.  Once you get in the room, it seems to go quick, but once you get separated to prep her for the surgery, takes forever.

I......Would......Not.......Like.......That

• Yeah, wasn't a huge fan of that 20 minutes, I mean the payoff was completely worth it and all they did was get her on the table and the anesthesiologist doing their thing, so I didn't miss anything, but being in an empty room with little light and no distraction was tough.
  • Loading the player...
  • Dude, sorry you had to go through that...I would probably flip out waiting.

We are trying to get prepared for anything....the wife wants a natural labor, but when we did our birth plan we told the OB that these are our wishes but we are completely flexibly and simply want a healthy baby and mommy when everything is said and done.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, but mine was a lot longer. I was originally told I could go back, but the anesthesiologist was afraid she may not be able to keep her airway due to the problems with her blood pressure. So about 5 minuets before they pushed her back they told me they would be putting her under general and I couldn't go into the OR. 

After about 45 minutes they came and got me and they let me see the babies as they transferred them up to the NICU. However I wasn't able to see my wife till about an hour later because they had to finish up and sent her to the ICU. That was a long 2 hours! 

Then my wife was on a ventilator for about 24 hours after that. So that evening I had my wife in the ICU on a vent, one baby on a vent in the NICU and another baby in the NICU breathing on his own. Our situation wasn't typically, but I didn't ever think something like that would happen. Turns out my wife got fluid in her lungs before the C-Section most likely from her blood pressure issues. 

• Yes, that would be infinitely worse.  At least everything came out ok in the end though, or at least I hope it did.
  • Everyone is doing great now. Our boys are almost 10 months old. A little rough start because they were in the NICU for 7 weeks because they were born at 33 weeks, but everyone is healthy now. I'm just so glad we were at a good hospital and my wife has an excellent OB that really took care of her. Also can't say enough good things about the NICU that took care of the boys. 
  • imagetwindaddy:

Yes, but mine was a lot longer. I was originally told I could go back, but the anesthesiologist was afraid she may not be able to keep her airway due to the problems with her blood pressure. So about 5 minuets before they pushed her back they told me they would be putting her under general and I couldn't go into the OR. 

After about 45 minutes they came and got me and they let me see the babies as they transferred them up to the NICU. However I wasn't able to see my wife till about an hour later because they had to finish up and sent her to the ICU. That was a long 2 hours! 

Then my wife was on a ventilator for about 24 hours after that. So that evening I had my wife in the ICU on a vent, one baby on a vent in the NICU and another baby in the NICU breathing on his own. Our situation wasn't typically, but I didn't ever think something like that would happen. Turns out my wife got fluid in her lungs before the C-Section most likely from her blood pressure issues. 

I simply do not know how you managed that situation as good as you did.  A big tip of the hat to you for that one!!  What an experience to have to go through for all of you.  I cannot even imagine!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"