June 2011 Moms
Options

Left handed

Do it seems like dd may be favoring her left hand.  I know it doesn't mean much yet and I don't care if she is left handed but my ILs really do! They keep "correcting" her by switching what she is doing to her right hand. I've asked them them to let her be but they just tell me that it terrible for a girl to be left handed.  Both my grandmas were left handed and that was at a time when being right handed was forced.  Other then them telling me how terrible it was to be forced to be right handed I don't see what is so bad about it.  Anywho i guess I'm just venting.   

Re: Left handed

• Options

Just let her be.  Hand dominance is not established yet.  It's really no big deal to be left handed.  I'm right handed and DH is left and although he wrote with his left hand, his mom taught him to do everything else with his right (mostly sports related).  His mom tells me how hard it will be for me to teach her to print if she's left handed all the time - forgetting that I'm a special ed. teacher and have taught plenty of left handed students to print :)

• Options
    I don't know what is so bad about it! My dad is too.  I think they are oldfashoned I really don't know what the issue is! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS favors his left hand too, though I know it's too early to tell if he'll really be left-handed. DH is left-handed and I'm right-handed and I think we both think it's cool that DS might be left-handed!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options
    I find it highly offencive that people still think this way. There is no reason to force people to be right handed. Really the only thing "wrong" with being left handed is it is pretty darn difficult to find a baseball glove. (i ended up learning to do that right handed) I really want to tell you to let it go and it will all work itself out but I know if it were my DHs parents doing this it would become world war 3 cause they are "awesome" like that and I will not let anyone try and force O to do anything especially something as stupid as "she has to be right handed because she has to be right handed"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think that Ty is favoring his left as well, but I know not to take stock in that!  However, my mom was forced to be right-handed as a toddler because my grandpa was a leftie, and back then it was harder.  Nowadays (wow, I just said nowadays!) everything is easier than it used to be.  Half of DHs large family is left-handed and I never hear complaining.  BFF is a leftie and she even used to have notebooks with the spiral on the right to make it easier.  She didn't use them all the time, but it was more of a fun novelty!
  • Options
    Wow, that would really tick me off!  There is nothing wrong with being left handed.  And it can really mess with a kid to be forced to use their non-dominant hand.  Your ILs need to back off and let her be.
  • Options

Like gymnast said, I've heard it's worse if you force a  child to use their non dominant hand. I think our parents are from a generation when there was a stigma about being left handed. Obviously,  it's no big deal. I'm 90 percent sure my LO is left handed, even though no one else in the family is. NBD!

• Options
    Um... I am a girl... and I am left handed and I am AWESOME!
  • Options

DH's dad made him and his brother left handed by forcing them to do everything with their left, because left handed pitchers make more money! 

I personally think its ridiculous and I told H I would flip if he ever tried to do that! 

• Options

imagebabysteps23:
    What is so bad about being left handed! My husband and I both are.  Jr seems to favor left hand too and we love it lol.

This is us too!  I'd be a little worried if DD wasn't left handed.

BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • Options
    imagelauracoro:

Do it seems like dd may be favoring her left hand.  I know it doesn't mean much yet and I don't care if she is left handed but my ILs really do! They keep "correcting" her by switching what she is doing to her right hand. I've asked them them to let her be but they just tell me that it terrible for a girl to be left handed.  Both my grandmas were left handed and that was at a time when being right handed was forced.  Other then them telling me how terrible it was to be forced to be right handed I don't see what is so bad about it.  Anywho i guess I'm just venting.   

My ILs tried to do this when DH was little, I don't know why they thought he should be right handed if he was obviously favoring his left. 

BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • Options

No flames here but I really don't know why people make such a big deal with left-handedness. People are always surprised when they discover I'm left-handed. And then I'm like...."oh most everyone in my extended family are" and then they gasp like I told them we're actually not from this planet or something.

I've asked people what's wrong and they give stupid answer like "well...it's the wrong-hand" versus the "right hand." Seriously? Confused
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"