Postpartum Depression

Help with coping

I have a 2 week old son who I love so much! However, I do nothing but cry all day especially since my husband has returned to work, leaving me alone with the baby.i feel like I'm doing everything wrong even though he seems perfectly happy and the dr. says he's healthy as a horse. The day isn't so bad, but I get sick to my stomach and dread the evening, knowing I will not get much sleep.

I suffered from depression in high school and college and took Zoloft and Trazedone. I was able to get off those meds about 3 years ago. I really don't want to have to go back on them. Any advise for coping with these feelings? 

Re: Help with coping

• I also was on meds in college for depression and anxiety, worked hard to get off them several years ago, and am facing going back on them. Only you know how bad you are feeling. As a STM, I can tell you that the worrying about sleep will pass and it will get easier.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I know that feeling because I've gone through it twice with 2 week olds. Here are some tips, which I hope help you.

1. Don't count the hours of sleep you're getting or not getting. It will just make you more miserable and resentful.  Coffee is your friend.

2. Get out walking with the baby every day. Just a little exercise will help you feel better. Listen to an Ipod or music that makes you feel good.

3. Don't forget that your hormones are all over the place, especially if you're BF. How you feel today you won't feel the same weeks from now.

4. The evening fussiness sucks with a newborn. Swaddle the baby, stick in a paci and bounce on an exercise ball (if you don't have one, tell your DH to bring one home for you.) You can try different positions to hold the baby but if the baby is fussy hold him upright and bounce. Instant sleepiness. For really fussy nights, I put the ball outside. Something about being outside helps a fussy baby.

5. Give the baby to your DH when he gets home, take a glass of wine and go read US Magazine or something else and take a bath. The running water will block out any crying.

6. When things get really bad, call your mom or a friend (especially one with older kids) to vent and help you. It is okay to ask for help .having a newborn is a very overwhelming and extremely stressful situation.

7. Take an online survey or call your dr to make sure you aren't suffering from some serious PPD.  Especially, if you're having thoughts of hurting the baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This is the first time I've posted on this board. I have suffered from depression since I was 12 but didn't start medication until I was 18. Been on and off different ones over the years but finally found a great one that worked for me, its called Cipralex. When I became pregnant with this baby I stopped taking them cold turkey, at first I was ok but my babys father had a change of heart with the way things were going and he cheated on me. I was devastated because I'd thought I'd found somebody who was worth spending my life with and who appreciated my kids after leaving an abusive 13 year relationship. Needless to say the depression creeped back up and I remembered feeling those particular feelings where you know things aren't going to go well so I started back up on Cipralex and my dr agreed. I would not be enjoying this pregnancy if it weren't for my meds.

I know you said you don't want to go back on medication but sometimes its better for your mental health. The baby can feel when you're stressed  and a happier mom means a happier baby. You will be able to cope better and funtion..you don't have to be super mom but you do need to feel comfortable with yourself and the way you parent. Its not only the fact of you not wanting to feel the way you do, you might just have a chemical imbalance that needs to be fixed. I'm not trying to be a pill pusher by any means but your mental health is just as important as the baby. Try to be an advocate for yourself, you are the only one who can do that..things will get better soon mama xoxo

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"