August 2012 Moms

2nd ultrasould?

I have only had the one ultrasound at 17weeks or so. Is this normal? I asked my doctor if they were planning on giving me another one at some point and she said no. How will they know if hes breech or if anything else significant is going on in there?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2nd ultrasould?

• imageJamiePotts86:
    I have only had the one ultrasound at 17weeks or so. Is this normal? I asked my doctor if they were planning on giving me another one at some point and she said no. How will they know if hes breech or if anything else significant is going on in there?

Thats strange, I didn't have any specific medical reason to have more than one but aside from my two electives, I have had... 3. and I have another apt scheduled for tomorrow for another one.

• I've only had the one at 18 weeks also.  They can tell if he's breech by feeling him thru your belly usually. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • The only reason I had one after the anatomy scan is because the baby was measuring really large at the anatomy scan, so my OB scheduled a growth scan for later on.  Otherwise she only does more ultrasounds if you go past your due date.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • I've had 6 ultrasounds!

The first was an internal at 6 or 7 weeks to pick up the heartbeat.  Then I had one at 12, 18 (anatomy), 28 (elective 4D), 36, and 38.

I thought it was a crazy amount of ultrasounds, although I did love getting to see my baby so often.  The last ones they did to make sure everything is ok because my belly was measuring large.

Have you thought about having an elective one?  The 4D was a great experience for us, and it was only about $100.  We got tons of pictures and a DVD of the whole thing, and it lasted about 45 minutes.

Don't be so hard on yourself Even a clock that isn't working is right twice a day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    photo bumpsig_zps1c080282.jpg

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • imageOffLiCute:

I've had 6 ultrasounds!

The first was an internal at 6 or 7 weeks to pick up the heartbeat.  Then I had one at 12, 18 (anatomy), 28 (elective 4D), 36, and 38.

I thought it was a crazy amount of ultrasounds, although I did love getting to see my baby so often.  The last ones they did to make sure everything is ok because my belly was measuring large.

Have you thought about having an elective one?  The 4D was a great experience for us, and it was only about $100.  We got tons of pictures and a DVD of the whole thing, and it lasted about 45 minutes.

Although now I see you're 36 weeks so the baby might be too big to get really good pictures.  My last sonogram at 38 weeks they couldn't get anything good because there isn't much room in there...

Don't be so hard on yourself Even a clock that isn't working is right twice a day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    photo bumpsig_zps1c080282.jpg

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • Each doctor is different.  Some only do one ultrasound, while some do 2+.  It also varies by patient (if you're high risk, they need to check something, etc.). 

But they can tell by feeling your belly, cervical exams, etc.  They don't need to do this by ultrasound.  Try not to worry!  With my last pregnancy my last ultrasound was my anatomy scan too (~20 weeks).  Everything was okay and my doctor could tell baby was head down and in position :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"