Two Under 2
Options

diaper budget ? XP

I am trying to come up with a realistic budget to SAH- I've posted a few times and gotten great advice, so thanks! One area I'm wondering about is baby supplies.  I currently buy the bulk packages of diapers at Babies R Us.  I really only buy Pampers, and it is the only brand I've ever used.  They have worked well for lo #1 (18 months old) and never felt a need to try anything different.  But budgeting has got me wondering- is there money to be saved here?  Have you had luck with any other brands, that also saved money.  Where have you found the best deals? Lo #2 is due in Nov so diapers will be a major expense in my house :)

"When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew." -Shakespere

Re: diaper budget ? XP

• Options
    The cheapest diapers which work that I've found is Luvs through Amazon's subsribe and save.  But DS has almost grown out of size 2 - he's growing out of each size before getting through a case so we've wasted money buying in bulk for him so soon.
  • Options
    We tried a few different brands of diapers...we always ended up going back to pampers.  They just worked the best for us.  When both kids were in diapers, we bought diapers every week.  We alternated week on who we bought for, it worked out well and never had to buy 2 packs in one week.  It didn't really seem like we spent a lot of money on them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We do Pampers on Amazon's subscribe and save.  We use the baby dry version which is the cheapest Pampers, but I like how thin they are and have never had leak problems.

My DD is potty trained, but when we had two in diapers it was quite the expense!  I do have lots of friends who like Target brand diapers.  They are definitely cheaper, but I personally don't care for them.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options
    I have tried huggies and luvs, but I keep going back to pampers. I just like the way they fit, smell, and feel compared to the other brands. I am an amazon prime member, and do subscribe & save on Amazons site. Also, they have coupons on their site that I have found at times for like $2-3 off a box of diapers. I just received my monthly shipment of diapers and it was $34. for 233(ish) and $37 for 222(ish) size 1 and size 3 diapers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • Options

We do pampers baby dry amazon subscribe and save. Each box is around $35-37. When both were in diapers I had $65 a month budged and then got wipes either at Costco or amazon (700 pampers wipes are $14 amazon and costco is $19 for 900 wipes I think) 

Now dd is potty trained but still wears a pull up or diaper for night and nap.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    delg23delg23 member
    I am another who has tried others and goes back to Pampers. I order from Amazon. If you have a Sam's club membership I think they are slightly cheaper and I got an email that they have free shipping (not sure how fast). But it was so slightly cheaper that it wasn't worth it for me to buy the membership. 
  • Options
    LOVE Up & Up from Target. No problems with leaks. The box with (I think) 180 diapers is $25.99
  • Options

I love Pampers Swaddlers (especially for newborns) and also like Huggies when they are older, BUT you can't beat the savings of using Up & Up Diapers from Target. We don't have any issues with Up & Up. No leaking, ever. No rashes, ever (even with sensitive skin). My 15 month old even wears them overnight with no problems. In addition to the regular low price there are often sales or offers like buy 2 boxes and get $5 gift card.

Also, we always use Up & Up sensitive wipes. I prefer them over every other brand and they are significantly less expensive. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We're loyal Pampers Baby Dry users.  My kids are in size five and six and it ticks me off how expensive they are.  I try to never buy them unless they have a Giftcard deal going and always try to hunt down coupons.  We've tried Huggies and theTarget brand, but they didn't work for us.  I plan to try Luvs when we get back from vacation.
  • Options

You should really look around online to find Salvage stores in your area. 

I stay at home with my 18 month old son and I'm due at the end of the month with another baby boy. We have a salvage store that is near us and I frequent it to find diapers. Just recently, when Target clearanced out all of their gian boxes, they sent what didn't sell to the salvage store. I ended up getting boxes of 250 Huggies for $20. We stocked up for both the boys and probably have enough to last us for at least a year and a half. 

I know most people look down on salvage type stores, but if you put your pride aside, you can save thousands on diapers and baby products! 

• Options
    imageNmschultz:
    LOVE Up & Up from Target. No problems with leaks. The box with (I think) 180 diapers is $25.99
    We use these too, and have been for 10 months or so. Both kids are in size 4, so go through a box a month. $25 for a month worth of diapers for 2 kids is awesome for us!
  • Options

I 2nd checking out the salvage stores, although personally would only go with known brands from a salvage store.

Other than that, we love the Up&Up from Target as well as the Sams Club brand diapers for sizes 2 and up. Newborn and size 1 we only used Pampers or Huggies. Personally I dislike the smell of the Luvs.

For wipes, I love the BRU brand, and they are a great deal when you buy as a box.

• Options

imageNmschultz:

This, we love Target diapers.  They used to not have their sizes on the actual diapers which made it tricky with 2 in different sizes - but they have now fixed that problem!  I thought they were pretty comparable to Pampers but a whole lot cheaper. 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Luvs are made by the same company as pampers. I would try those on your older LO to start. I prefer name brand diapers for the little BF poop stage and when they are older anything will do really. 

Amazon is great, try moneysavingmom.com she has a section for diaper deals. You can also try target brand diapers. The main thing is to try and see how much you are paying per diaper so do the math. Coupons help a lot. 15 cents a diaper or less is a great deal. if you buy ahead of time tape the receipt ot the package in case you need to return.

Dont buy too many little diapers, go for the 3, 4 and 5's if you buy ahead.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We found using cloth was cheapest in the long run.

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageGHBEA:

We found using cloth was cheapest in the long run.

I was a bit surprised to make it this far before someone suggested cloth. Since you're SAH, you could have a small stash to use while you're at home and then still use disposables while out and about and overnight. That'd cut a good amount of cost right there. You can find great deals on gently used cloth diapers too that would also save you money while getting your stash established.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Options

Target up and up by far!     Even with Pampers coupons they are still cheaper without.   My girls are in size 4 and they end up being about .17 a diaper.    

• Options
    When ds1 was little we used huggies but always had problems with leaks because he was a heavy wetter. We switched to up&up and have used them for both boys. I don't care for up&up newborn but all other sizes are fine. They hold up very well. We pay $25.99 for a jumbo/club pack box. We also buy up&up unscented wipes ( a box of 9 packs) for $13.99. So all together we spend about $80 a month before coupons. However with up&up we are always getting deal like the buy 2 boxes get a $5 giftcard and they sometimes include coupons in the box of diapers. The boys spent about a month in the small sizes and longer from size 3 on up so I agree with stocking up on larger sizes. I also saw an idea once where a woman bought herself a giftcard everytime she went shopping when she was pregnant so she could just use giftcards to buy diapers after she knew what kind worked for her baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree - I would definitely check out cloth.  It sounds really overwhelming at first but it's actually really easy.  I use BumGenius 4.0s which are sort of pricey to start up but considering you'll only need 30-35 dipes for 2 babies, it ends up way cheaper in the long run even considering water and detergent expenses.  There are also cheaper options out there than the BG 4.0s.  There's a cloth diaper board here if you'd like to peruse it and see what you think.  

I'm a SAHM and have had no issues with cloth - I LOVE it and recommend it to every new mom I hear about. You could use disposables when out and about like pp recommended but there's no need to - cloth is easy to take along with you.  Ease into it and it'll become second nature.  AND you're baby will have such a cute bum! :-)

That being said - when I did use disposables I used Pampers as well but tried Luvs and they worked great and are about half the price so that's what I buy now if I have to.  My sister uses them too and I have a skinny mini baby and she has a chunky one! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"