1st Trimester

pilates...do I tell instructor yet?

I am 6 weeks 3 days I believe but I have yet to have my first appointment (its this Thursday) I found out last Thursday through a blood test and at home test that I am pregnant. We havent told our family yet so I feel weird telling my pilates instructor first but I also dont want to hurt the baby or myself. Any suggestions on what to do?

Re: pilates...do I tell instructor yet?

• do you know her outside of pilates? If not, I would tell her. If your nervous she might tell someone you know then I wouldnt and know yourself what feels ok and what doesnt 
    imageimagephoto proudEPer2.gif
          BFP #1: 7/18/12, M/C 8/6/12 @6weeks  Missing our April Angel
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                                           Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would. She might have suggestions for adaptations you may want to do. I just told my massage therapist because I needed to reschedule my appointment (for another reason) but we aren't telling family for a while yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • The baby is below your pubic bone until 14 weeks, so there really aren't any adaptions that need to be done quite yet.

I do a workout (Pure Barre) that requires a doctor's note to attend when pregnant.  I obtained the doctor's note at my first appointment, but won't turn it in and out myself until towards the end of my first tri.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would. I told my yoga instructor the next class after I got the bfp (so I was literately 4 weeks) so she could make adjustments if needed. I told my spin instructor last week (9 weeks) so he'd be aware that I'm watching myself. Fortunately both have been good about being low key about any modifications so I doubt anyone in the classes know. 
    TTC 1: Off BCP late October 2011. BFP #1 Jan 2, 2012; EDD September 5, 2012; m/c Jan 12, 2012. BFP #2 June 14, 2012; EDD February 22, 2013.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
    My super all about me birth story:
    Then: Fraternal twins born at 26 weeks in 1983. Me: 640 grams. Brother: 840 grams. Family kept watch in the NICU for 5 months before being allowed to go home. On oxygen for a year and a half after being released.
    Now: Me: PhD student and married. Brother: Lawyer and married.
    Dad's wedding speech: Thank you to all the family who stood watch and prayed for our children's survival. Well now the little scrawny chicken is married. Who would've thought? (Thanks dad for making me laugh and cry at the same time).
    My BFP Chart
  • You need to tell your pilates instructor if you plan on continueing with pilates during your first trimester. It does not matter where your baby is currently located. Certain exercises should not be done during this time. 

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
  • amyzenamyzen member

I am a fitness instructor.  I was told by my doctor that I can continue my intense workouts, but do them at about 75% effort.  I was told that I can continue all exercises on my back until my second trimester.  I already feel uncomfortable doing core exercises, mentally.  I have talked to several instructors that have been pregnant and they say the same thing.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would tell her, who knows what twists and bends could hurt your little bean?
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I told my yoga instructor immediately as well. I was really glad I did too because she gave me some helpful modifications and now I can practice worry-free. :-)

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Tell her!  Your ligaments are all looser during pregnancy, even this early, so even though you may not be risking injuring the baby, you're risking injuring yourself if some positions aren't modified.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"