Attachment Parenting

co-sleeping and monitor?

First, I know, I'm only 9 weeks pregnant... I'm aware it's early, but I find it fun and I'm not working right now so I have nothing else to do with my time....

but I am registering for all my baby stuff little by little, and today I was kind of glancing at the baby monitors, and I was wondering how much use I would get out of it if I plan to BW and co-sleep.... we are also in a fairly small apartment. any opinions?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: co-sleeping and monitor?

• Are you likely to put baby down for naps without you? Put baby down for a sleep before you're ready for bed?

Are there parts of your house you wouldn't be able to hear baby from? What about if you're doing something noisy like laundry or dishes?

Are you likely to close baby's door so the TV doesn't disturb them?

Do you have an outdoor area you might go into while baby is sleeping?

Are you likely to take baby to visit someone elses house and put them down for a sleep, and need a monitor?

I don't think monitors are essential, but there are plenty of situations where it's handy to have. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• We've always used one for when our LO sleep away from us - both my kids liked early bedtimes as infants (as in, 6-7 pm), so there was a good chunk of time they were sleeping while we were awake. We've also always used noise machines, so even though we've lived in small places, a monitor is nice to have.

You can always return it, or buy one if you don't get one!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • I wish I had gotten one. It would be nice when he goes to bed at 6:30, I have to stay really close and really quiet because he could crawl off the bed. 
  • I have the video Angel Care monitor with the video screen. I love it! My DD slept in her mini crib right next to us until she was about 6 months and we still used the video monitor a lot during that time. I used the video monitor while she napped and when I put her down to bed before I went to bed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenosoup4u:

We've always used one for when our LO sleep away from us - both my kids liked early bedtimes as infants (as in, 6-7 pm), so there was a good chunk of time they were sleeping while we were awake. We've also always used noise machines, so even though we've lived in small places, a monitor is nice to have.

You can always return it, or buy one if you don't get one!

This. We like ours for naps/early bedtime. My LO will call out before crying, and it's not always easy to hear him with the door shut and tv/dishes/etc. even though we have a small ranch.

We just got a cheap one that was around $30 and it works fine for us. 

imageimage
  • I didn't have one at first. I went and bought a video monitor when DD was about 6 months old and we started using the crib. I think this is one of those things you can get later on if you decide you need it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• We had a hand me down monitor and have never used it.

I did buy a pair of walkie-talkies with hands-free a few weeks ago and wish I would have had that instead. DS fell asleep in the car a lot. This way, I can leave a walkie talkie out there and know when he wakes up. (I park in our detached garage, and this is obviously only when the weather cooperates.)

DS also generally naps in his crib and is only in bed if I'm there with him, so super-close monitoring isn't necessary.

• I bw for about the first four months, all day long, so LO naps on me, but after that they nap in my bed, and I use the monitor then.  I also keep baby near me at night in the living room if they fall asleep before we go to bed for the first 4ish months too.  I'm not fond of my new LO's sleeping in a different room than me because of SIDS (even daytime SIDS), so we don't use the monitor much before 4mo, but we use it all the time after that.  I was gifted one when I was pg with #1 9yo, and we still have it (it's a Graco), and we're going to be needing a new one finally.  It's on its last leg.  We live in a small house too, so small that we have to be sure not to have the monitor pieces too close together, but I like being able to hear the first fuss or wiggle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"