September 2012 Moms
Options

DH time off question

How long does DH need to plan on taking off?  He just started a new job so he has no PTO.  They know I'm pregnant and are fine with him taking off, but the least number of days he can take off the better.  He works Thurs - Sun, so I know the actual number of days he has to take off will depend on when I have baby.  I figured he will stay with me when I'm in the hospital, and then how many days should I plan on him needing him with me at home?  My mom has offered to stay with me and I said we could play it by ear (she stresses me out a lot of times).
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DH time off question

• Options
    I like 2 straight weeks (5 days of which my kids were in the NICU).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    If I get to have a vaginal delivery DH is taking 2 weeks, if I end up with a c-section he is taking 3 weeks.  This is our first child and the moms can't take time off to help us at all. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby #2 on its way - EDD June 4th!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DH started a new job not that long ago, and won't have accrued a lot of time by then.  His boss had her 2nd LO in January so thankfully she is very open to him taking leave.

He will probably take a full week off, plus maybe a couple days.  It all depends on when I deliver - if I deliver on a Monday, he will probably go back after one full week at home - so discharged Wednesday, he goes back following Wednesday. If it's on a Friday, he would take the following week off and go back that Monday. Thankfully they are flexible. 

Little B 9.20.12
  • Options

None, pretty much. He's a full time law student and it's kind of impossible to miss class. I mean, of course a day or two, and I'm sure the professors will be accommodating, but definitely not longer than that.

I hope for many reasons that LO arrives on a Thursday night or something, so DH only has to miss a day and we have a weekend built in (also, so my Mom can come stay for longer. She is a kindergarten teacher and lives an hour and a half away).

Not in TX any more! - Central PA
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My DH gets paternity leave so he will be taking 2 weeks off.  Our mothers both live here so they are available as well, but they work full time.  Hopefully my delivery will go smoothly and after two weeks I'll be feeling pretty good and have adjusted ok. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    MH is taking one week off.  He did last time when I had a natural/vag delivery, and that seemed to work out pretty well.  We don't have anyone stay over, but our families are close by, so if I get overwhelmed with the two of them - I could have someone come over anytime.
  • Options
    Probably a week depending on how it all goes down.  He has some flexibility with his job though and can work from home if need be.  My mom will also be with us to help. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    He gets 10 business days of paternity leave.  We don't live near our families so I will be on my own after that, yikes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is it possible for him to go back for half days for a week or two?  That's what we're planning on after the first two weeks or so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DH will take 5 days off of work, so he'll be with me either 7 or 9 straight days, depending on when I have the baby. It's going to suck, but it's what we can manage.

My mom will be coming for a week early on, but it may not be right away. It all depends on when baby is born and plane ticket costs.

When I had DS via c-section, H stayed home for a week and then a friend flew in for a week. 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageterri_doula2010:

DH will take 5 days off of work, so he'll be with me either 7 or 9 straight days, depending on when I have the baby. It's going to suck, but it's what we can manage.

My mom will be coming for a week early on, but it may not be right away. It all depends on when baby is born and plane ticket costs.

When I had DS via c-section, H stayed home for a week and then a friend flew in for a week. 

That's a great reminder, my best friend has mentioned wanting to visit after I have him, maybe I could tag team them....

• Options
    klgrh6klgrh6 member

DH will get a week possibly a week & a half. I'm secretly hoping LO is born around Labor day so we get an extra paid day off. He's new to his company and hasn't been there long enough to receive paternity benefits.And although we have mothers who would love to come help out, for my sanity, I'm hoping I won't need them around much. They are alittle overwhelming and that's not something I need after having a baby. But I guess if I really need the help, I have it.

• Options
    DH is taking 1 wk off when LO is born and the first wk that I go back to work. I'm only off for 5 wks so LO will be home 6 wks total before going to my BF's house where he'll be watched 3 days / wk.

Cooper Edward

• Options
    My DH is taking 2 weeks.
  • Options
    My husband will probably only take a couple days off.  He just started a new job in April and has limited time to take off, plus he'll be taking over the bills as I'm going to stop working and we'll need the money.  Luckily, my Mom and sister will be able to stop by to help me out.  I really don't want anyone staying with us for any amount of time.  Visits are fine, but then go away...We are really into our personal space.  
  • Options

DH has never taken off work, except he did call off the day of delivery. He actually started working 7 days a week the day I came home from the hospital with DS.

He has a different job (works 32hr Sat and Sun is off m-f) and originally our plans were to schedule my c-section for Friday. He would work as usual Sat and Sun and would be home with me when I came home monday until the next weekend.

our plans are up in the air right now though.

BFP #1 10/28/09 EDD 06/24/10- Miscarriage 11/2/09
    BFP #2 11/30/09 EDD 08/12/10- Sophia Grace born 8/1/10
    BFP #3 11/16/10 EDD 08/04/11- Samuel Richard born 7/28/11
    BFP #4 01/04/12 EDD 09/19/12- Simon Nathaniel born 9/6/12
    BFP #5 03/27/13 EDD 11/25/13- Savannah Lee born 11/18/13
  • Options

I'll be lucky if DH doesn't go back to work while I'm still in the hospital! (kidding, sort of!)

DH is a farmer and in full harvest mode right now. He will be there for the birth and I told him that yes, he has to stay the entire time I'm in the hospital. He will probably go back to work when I'm at home. It sucks yes, but I know that it is his super busy time and our livelihood depends on him getting the crops off the field! He works with his dad, and his dad has said that they will work something out. It's only him and his dad and one other worker so not much to work with! His uncle is retired and helps out here and there, so I know that if I really need him at home, he can be. However, if he was home for 2 straight weeks with me, I might go crazy!

My mom lives in our town and she is going to tell her work that she will be popping in and out as necssary. She can work from home so she will probably take the week after off.

• Options

My husband gets 2 weeks off, but he works 24 hr shifts as a firefighter. So even after he goes back to work he will still be home 24 hrs later.  Assuming he does not get forced to work another 10 hr shift, which happens  :)

This is our first, so I think 2 weeks will be good.  

• Options
    Technically DH is taking 2 weeks.  However, he had 9 hearings scheduled for the week that he goes back, so he will probably be working that 2nd week.  The other think with MH is that he had to take the time 3 months in advance so that he wouldn't have any hearings scheduled.  So he's taking the week before and the week after my EDD...at this point, my doc thinks I will be 1-2 weeks before the time DH took off.
  • Options
    MH is taking 4 weeks off and he will use a combo of sick and vacation time. He took about the same amount with DS too. Our families are out of state, so it's going to be great having him home. Plus, we work opposite shifts, so it will be nice to be on the same schedule for a while. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

MH took off 2 weeks last time & will do the same this time.

I found it was enough time for me to get the hang of things. At first, we did everything together b/c we were both learning - diaper changes, getting DS dressed, bathing, feeding, etc. But by 2 weeks, I was confident doing things on my own.

Technically he can take 6 weeks of FLI once I return from my maternity leave, but we opted not tot use it.

• Options

With DD he took 1 week and honestly he could have gone back sooner.  She was such a good baby.  It was nice though, he spent the entire time good fancy dinners for us. 

This time I want him to take 1-1 1/2 weeks to help with DD since I'll be having a RCS.

• Options

imagejlk6:
    My husband won't get paid time off either so he is only wanting to take a few days off. I would love if he would take atleast a week off though. 

same here. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    DH has accrued a fair amount of vacation/compensation time so he will have most of October and November off.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think he is taking 2 weeks, 1 of which is vacation time and one is paid paternity leave. 
    Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My DH is taking 2 full weeks and then the remainder of the week when LO shows up, if it's not a weekend.

Carter Douglas 09.25.12

• Options
    DH will take a week off, my mom is taking the second week off, and my dad the third.  So, I will have lots of help the first month.
  • Options
    My SO is taking 2 weeks vacation starting when I go into labor and then 6 weeks when my ML runs out.
  • Options
    Mine starts a new job next week, but negotiated 2 weeks off. This is our first and it will be a c/s, so I know I'll need his help. 
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member

DH took a week off last time, I was fine being home by myself after that. He works for a different company this time that is really small and doesn't have written maternity/paternity leave so he hasn't asked yet if they will provide him time or if he has to use his PTO. My parents are staying with us this time so if they don't give him a Paternity leave (like a week), he will probably only take the days I'm in the hospital and maybe one more day. Depending on when in the week all that falls, he might just work from home for a day or two also.  I would rather him use his PTO for the days after my parents leave, when I have my Leep procedure 6-8 weeks pp, and take the week between Christmas and New Years off.

Side note: my company has a 12 week 100% paid paternity leave! 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    imagejayja2007:

imagejlk6:
    My husband won't get paid time off either so he is only wanting to take a few days off. I would love if he would take atleast a week off though. 

same here. 

No paid time of for MH either. He's on a contract that ends Sept 28th - 2 days after DD!!! He'll probably have another lined up to follow that one, but maybe they can set it up so that he has a week in between or something. However, my mom, MIL and my sister have all offered to come help, so if MH stays home at all, it will be more for hanging out and bonding with/learning about the baby (which would be great :)

• Options
    We had DS late Saturday night, were released Monday mid day and he was back to work on Tuesday.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image

DD #1 9/11/10

DD #2 8/28/12

#3 Due 10/8/15

• Options

MH is taking a week off.  He started a new job recently and negotiated 2 weeks vacation for his first year with one of the two weeks being taken when I have LO.  Luckily, the company he works for was trying to get him to come from another company so he used that fact that he was getting two weeks vacation at his previous job to get two weeks at his new one (usually you have to work there a full year before you start getting vacation days).

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"