Baby Names

Atticus

We had our anatomy scan today and are very excited to be having a BOY!

Of course, we had a girl's name ready to go, but are totally undecided on the boy front.

Atticus has been one of my favorites for years, though. Thoughts? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Atticus

• Love it! DH crossed it off our list. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to use it, though, so maybe it's more of a guilty pleasure name for me. I'd be super thrilled to meet a little boy named Atticus!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Hate it.
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I don't like it at all! Sorry!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Love it!

DS: June 2012
    MC: July 2015 8w5d

• I adore Atticus.

I'm personally a little put off by the hipster, "Look at me, my favorite book is ALSO To Kill a Mockingbird" vibe it has. But I still like it a lot. It's strong, masculine, and a LOT more refreshing than Landon, Liam, Owen, Jackson, Aidan and every other name people are using on boys.

Congrats on your son!

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• NMS.  The only short nn I can think of is "Attie" which IMO is a girl's name.

What do you have in mind to nn the baby? (if anything)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Eh, I'm not sure what to think about Atticus. I like that it's strong and masculine, but it seems better fit for a dog rather than a baby for some reason.
  • Love!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagealliejo725:

I adore Atticus.

I'm personally a little put off by the hipster, "Look at me, my favorite book is ALSO To Kill a Mockingbird" vibe it has. But I still like it a lot. It's strong, masculine, and a LOT more refreshing than Landon, Liam, Owen, Jackson, Aidan and every other name people are using on boys.

Congrats on your son!

I agree with this 

• It's definitely a strong name but I like it a lot.

• imageObLaDi:

We had our anatomy scan today and are very excited to be having a BOY!

Of course, we had a girl's name ready to go, but are totally undecided on the boy front.

Atticus has been one of my favorites for years, though. Thoughts? 

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I really like it, but I do think it has a hipster vibe to it. I've met one Atticus (maybe 2 years old) and his parents called him 'Tiki' for short.  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ZimgerZimger member
    I like it. I don't think I'd use it personally, but I like it. Congrats!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm so over this name. Sorry. :(
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I don't like it in the slightest. My friend has a son named Atticus and I rolled my eyes when he announced his name. It seems like they are trying way too hard.

BabyFruit Ticker

• ObLaDiObLaDi member

Thanks for all the feedback. I've definitely worried a bit about the hipster/pseudointellectual/trying too hard image as well, although ultimately I don't think that overrides my love for the name.

We're definitely not hipsters, although my husband is an attorney and wonders whether it would be weird to have a son with the name of an iconic lawyer.

Does anyone feel like this name could be headed for the top 100? Obviously no one can predict the future, and it doesn't strike me as something that will become mainstream, but we'd rather steer clear of super popular. It worries me a bit that it's gone from outside of the top 1000 to the mid-400s in less than a decade. I may just be being neurotic, though. 

I'm leaning towards feeling like it may be "the one." We'll see! 

• I really like Atticus. If you really love it but worry about the perception of it, maybe you could slide it over to the middle name spot?
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • Love love LOVE!
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • imagealliejo725:

I adore Atticus.

Congrats on your son!

This! We were both on board with giving the middle name "Scout" if we have a girl, but now that it's kinda hipster, we've crossed it off the list.
  • Love it :)
  • Love Atticus! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageObLaDi:

Thanks for all the feedback. I've definitely worried a bit about the hipster/pseudointellectual/trying too hard image as well, although ultimately I don't think that overrides my love for the name.

We're definitely not hipsters, although my husband is an attorney and wonders whether it would be weird to have a son with the name of an iconic lawyer.

Does anyone feel like this name could be headed for the top 100? Obviously no one can predict the future, and it doesn't strike me as something that will become mainstream, but we'd rather steer clear of super popular. It worries me a bit that it's gone from outside of the top 1000 to the mid-400s in less than a decade. I may just be being neurotic, though. 

I'm leaning towards feeling like it may be "the one." We'll see! 

It may grow in popularity a bit more but I don't think you would have to worry about him being one of three in his class. Unless you live in a place overloaded with people using the name because they want to be seen as intellectual. I think it will only become popular in certain areas. I doubt it will reach the top of the ranks like Aidan has...(which is sad because I like the name Aidan). Anyway, I think you are safe.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You may end up with "Addy" as a nickname, which is cute. IMO, if it's been a fave of yours for years, you've already been living with it and you still like it. You'd probably regret not using it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I SO love this name!  DH vetoed it immediately, and it would sound funny with our last name, but I still love it. Will you please use it, since I can't? =)
  • This, exactly!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"