Health & Exercise
Options

pregnancy exercise?

I have been running regularly for over a year now and I've come to really enjoy it. (never use to)

anyway, I m/c in April. I know that it wasn't necessarily because of my running but it just happened that due to being sick I took a week or so off and then started up again. I started with a VERY easy jog/walk. I started bleeding that day and ended that evening with a trip to the ER. Technically the baby stopped growing 4 weeks before that...  After I started feeling better from the loss of blood, I started running again and have been since. 

Here I am.. a few months later and i'm expecting again! (yay!) I have been running about 4 days a week (2 days a week are short and easy with weights and abs) I ran this morning and spotted. It was very little but enough to make me nervous. I really don't feel comfortable running because I dont want to m/c again (even if that wasn't the reason the first time. if i continue to run, and I do m/c i'd blame myself)

my question is: what other options are there? I know that I can walk but I get bored if I'm walking by myself and all my running friends are training for 10ks and I dont want to mess with their training. What about the elliptical? or a bike maybe? (although I dont like the bike at the gym much either) 

Anyway- I want to keep active and be healthy but my baby is top priority. What are your thoughts? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: pregnancy exercise?

• Options
    I guess I also just wonder if doing the bike or elliptical is really that much different from running? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope everything goes well with this pregnancy!

It is unlikely that running caused any problems with your previous pregnancy, but I understand that you're hesitant to push it with this one. Using the bike and/or elliptical are a lot different from running- they are far less impact.If you try them and don't like them, think about giving swimming a shot. It's zero-impact and a really good full body cardio workout. The rower at the gym is another option as well. 

And always, if you have any discomfort/bleeding with any activity, stop. Call your doctor if you don't feel right. You're right- the baby's health should be your #1 priority! 

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I personally would not be running, there are other options like Pregnancy videos. I have been told not to workout, so after he is born, i will have to start out slow since i will be out shape but i dont mind. Now, I will say, i have No pg issues but i found i was pg when, they think to be, was ending my 4thmonth and i was working out 3 times a day but i had no idea i was PG so that is why they told no more working out. I can swim, they said that is safe for me and it is wonderful! No impact,the only thing i cannot do is turn on the endless pool and swim against the current.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

What about swimming?

There are also many prenatal yoga/cardio/dance/weights videos out there.  I am still exploring them all myself!  I plan on reviewing them on my blog once I out myself there.

• Options
    When I was pregnant with DD, I was told that Dance was one of the best exercises to do while pregnant.  This time around, I'm a Zumba Fitness instructor and have been teaching as many as 8 classes a week (obviously this was earlier in my pregnancy).  I'm 33 weeks now and still teaching at least 4 classes a week. Maybe you could look into some form of Dance Fitness classes near you? But definitely see your doctor if you are feel uncomfortable at all. 
  • Options

Please don't blame yourself for the m/c. You did not cause it by running.   

If you are not comfortable with running, don't do it. Yes, the elliptical and bike are different enough from running. Swimming is a great exercise for pregnancy because of the weightlessness. 

I have maintained my routine for the most part throughout my pregnancy. I had to stop running about 22 weeks because my l/o was too high and affecting my breathing, but I have continued to boot camp throughout. My OB has been fine with my level of activity so far.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options

I had the same problem as you did - was running, training for a 5k when i got preganant and began having spotting hwen I would run. 

I quit and did nothing (per doctor's orders) for a week and it stopped and have added back in activity since but have kept it lighter. 

I have been walking (hills too in case I get bored) and elliptical, and also got a prenatal dvd that I do when I am too lazy to leave the house.

I have had no spotting since and while I am sad to have had to stop running (since I was just getting good at it) I feel a lot better about my baby.  Good luck! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I am also a runner, but as soon as I got pg, I noticed I got cramps while running (it was my first sign I might be pg).  That made me nervous, then when M/S hit, I decided to just stop running for a while.

During the 2nd tri, I swam a lot, did some prenatal yoga, and tried to walk when I felt good. 

I am now 29 weeks and just started feeling strong and energetic enough to walk 1.5 mi and follow up with 25 minutes of prenatal yoga. (plus it's finally cooling off outside!!)

DS is due in Nov, and my goal is to work back up to 4mi a day starting in late February.  Until then I'm just trying to maintain my lung capacity and muscles. 

I also noticed that before I was pg, I could almost never bring my HR up past 100 no matter how hard I was working.  Now, I can easily hit 140 with just walking.  So make sure you are paying attention to your HR!!  Don't work yourself too hard!  And congrats on your baby!!!!  Party!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"