Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Backache = labor?

I've read/heard a number of women talk about a backache being a prelude to labor/part of early labor, and I'm curious if anyone has had this experience? Is it a constant ache, or is it more contraction-like (comes and goes)? The closer I get to having this baby the more I am convinced I will not know when I am in early labor. I could be crazy. Well, I'm definitely crazy. But also curious! TIA!

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Backache = labor?

• Options
    With DD I had crazy back labor. My understanding is that it is caused by baby's head pressing against your tailbone but I may be wrong. Some women experience this very early in labor however I didn't until I was in active labor. It was extremely painful until I got into the birthing tub and then it all but disappeared. For me, it was a constant pain until then but did get worse with contractions. Maybe some other ladies have other experiences to share.
    We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My experience is a little different because my labor with Peyton was induced, but one of the first things I felt was period-like cramping in my back.  So I guess if I felt that again I'd think maybe something was happening? 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Married the love of my life 7/11/09 - Our first baby, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping 10/25/11 at 33 weeks - Our second baby, BFP 2/4/12, welcome to the world Raylan! Holy Moly, BPF 2/4/14, please be safe and sound little one!

My Blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    A friend of mine had back pain that came and went for two days that she figured was caused by gas - turns out it was back labor, and it just took her some time to realize it was coming in a pattern. 
    Siggy Note: Drunk Ron Swanson is on a break while Amy Poehler takes over for a while, summing up my thoughts on all this birth control, prenatal testing, women's issues stuff in the news.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    dx: LPD & low progesterone 11/2011
    BFP #1 August 23
  • Options
    I have the exact same fear.  I have a feeling that what I am feeling off & on through out the day may in fact be mild contractions in my back.  I am going to bring it up again when I go in on Friday.  
    BFP #1 2/8/2008 - Evan born 10/3/2008 via c/s @ 38wks
    BFP #2 12/31/2010 (EDD 9/1/11) -- Natrual m/c 1/9/10
    BFP #3 12/20/2011 - EDD 8/25/12
    u/s 1/6/12 - HB & beautiful bean
    A/S 4/2 - It's a Girl!!!
    RCS on 8/20/12
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    For me it was a constant, dull backache.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think a backache can be a sign of pending labour, or it can just be your body's reaction to your centre of gravity being off and the way your posture changes as your bump grows.

I did have horrendous back labour....it IS NOT a backache.  My water broke then about an hour later, I had noticeable abdominal contrax about every 10 mins lasting 20-40 seconds.  After about 1.5hrs of that (uncomfortable, but not painful, contrax went to 8 min then 5 min apart), then the back labour started.  It was excruitating, stop you dead in your tracks pain that breathing techniques did not touch.  I would have an abdominal contrax, then once that stopped a back spasm, there was no break between contrax and spasms, it was exhausting.  I got an epi within 40 mins of it starting, thank the good Lord! Back labour is often caused when your the back of your babies skull is against your spine/tailbone (posterior positioning).

I know that everyone worries about not knowing when they have gone into active labour (well, I sure did anyway), but trust me, you will know when you need to know.  You may not be aware of early labour (I probably had contrax before I knew I did), but when it was time for me to get my butt in gear and head to the hospital, my body let me know loud and clear. I am sure yours will too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm not really sure, Rusalka, but I have been having periods of constant backache off and on for a copule weeks.  It's not timeable, rather an achiness that lasts a few hours, then goes away.  I'm a good 4 cm dilated these days, so I suppose it could be evidence of some work being done in there, because I really don't have much in the way of contractions in front (really only a few I've noticed). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Once touched by pain, you're not the same But time can heal your heart again So let the clouds that bring you down Just fade away...
  • Options
    Thanks, gals. Pretty sure I just had some false labor yesterday morning. Some REALLY severe waves in my back, five of them about twenty minutes apart. But then they stopped, and haven't felt anything out of the ordinary since.

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"