October 2012 Moms
Options

Mattress Support in Crib

So I thought all cribs had those metal springs that the crib mattress sits on, however when we were at Babies R Us, we saw a crib that we love, but it just had a solid wooden board. When we  asked an associate about it, she said all the cribs come with Springs and that some had the board as the display because its cheaper. So we got the crib! A week later we go home to set it up and it comes with one wooden board not springs. We called and they said Sorry you were misinformed. You can return it if you want. We used a 20% off coupon on the crib so thats the best "deal" they can give us on another crib.

So my question is, does your crib have the wooden or spring support? Is the wooden one safe and durable? I really do like the crib and it was in our budget. We havent really seen another one we like. But I know babies like to bounce and springs would provide more give. Thoughts???

Re: Mattress Support in Crib

• Options
    My crib has a board, I'm a big girl and I bet I could stand on it and it wouldn't budge. I think I'd be nervous with a crib that had springs..babies crawl around and could eventually get their fingers caught underneath...I actually saw that on americas funniest home videos a couple weeks ago..a lil boy maybe 5 yrs old got his pj bottoms stuck in the wires under the crib and couldn't get out! it was funny but what if it was a lil girls hair? ugh maybe thats just me being paranoid but I prefer the board.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ours has the wooden board and wooden slats in I think. We haven't put it together yet! But they look like they would be just fine!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ours has a wooden board also.  I think that is better than springs, which could get things caught.  I also think the wooden board is sturdier and also more supportive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The spring support was one think we specifically looked for in cribs since Baby Bargains recommended springs over the MDF type board support...I don't recall their reasoning for the recommendation now, but it made sense while reading it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ours is wooden, I think most of them we looked at were too. Besides, it would provide the firm support that babies need.

• Options
    imageFinallyMom2B:
    The spring support was one think we specifically looked for in cribs since Baby Bargains recommended springs over the MDF type board support...I don't recall their reasoning for the recommendation now, but it made sense while reading it.
    I went back to look up the reasoning in BB because I was curious. They say the best cribs use a metal spring platform or a grid of wooden slats. They go on to say other cribs use vinyl straps or a piece of particle board and call these methods inferior. The vinyl straps aren't as secure as metal springs or wood slats and the particle board raises concerns over formaldehyde emissions.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We are going to use an angel care monitor and thus will have to go get a wood piece to go over our springs.. so in our case.. the wood would be better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"