January 2011 Moms
Options

Im really bad at reprimanding.

So basically, W will get in trouble for doing something like say climbing on the back of the couch and up on the ledge. When I make her get down, she will throw a tantrum and has the most adorable cry face. Often she will reach for me to hug her and I realize I do hug her a lot and rub her back.

I only notice this because BIL is famous for cuddling w/ nephew at 9 yrs old after he gets in trouble, and I think its redic.

When you discipline, do you keep a straight serious face and don't coddle them?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Im really bad at reprimanding.

• Options

There's nothing wrong with hugging her when she's upset, just don't let her adorable cry face make you be like "ohhh it's ok I guess you can climb it." Be consistent, get her down every.single.time she climbs it, but acknowledge that she's not happy about it.

eta: I think the idea is to teach them that following the rules is 1. normal (ie don't make it a huge deal) and 2. makes life better/easier/more fun. So we do minimal attention while correcting unwanted behaviors, and lots of praise for desired behaviors.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm no help. I do the same thing. Especially when DH is doing the repremanding and she comes running to me. I hate seeing her all worked up, even when it is her own fault.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagehonkytonk_kid:

There's nothing wrong with hugging her when she's upset, just don't let her adorable cry face make you be like "ohhh it's ok I guess you can climb it." Be consistent, get her down every.single.time she climbs it, but acknowledge that she's not happy about it.

eta: I think the idea is to teach them that following the rules is 1. normal (ie don't make it a huge deal) and 2. makes life better/easier/more fun. So we do minimal attention while correcting unwanted behaviors, and lots of praise for desired behaviors.

To me, minimal attention for bad behavior shouldnt involve a hug and a back rub.  If she is upset about falling down or something, then I think thats one thing. 

I really wasn't questioning what if im doing this right, just more wondering if anyone else coddled their LO when it probably is not necessary and is sending the WRONG message.

• Options

imageSweetHurricane:
    I'm no help. I do the same thing. Especially when DH is doing the repremanding and she comes running to me. I hate seeing her all worked up, even when it is her own fault.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

• Options
    Guilty as charged.

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I often crack up when she overreacts to not being allowed to juggle knives or whatever crazy thing she is trying to do. And I just realized that I reassure her after DH disciplines her if I wasn't disciplining her for the same thing the minute before. I have to stop doing that.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options

I'm bad too but more of in an inconsistent way. Sometimes I redirect, sometimes I let him throw a fit, sometimes I snuggle him when he throws a fit. Poor kid is probably so confused! 

And the worst are when we are in public - then I really don't know how to handle things and end up just giving him food. He's going to be a terror and obese at this rate. 

• Options

Are you familiar with positive discpline? It may be a more natural fit for you. Here is a great website to start with...

https://www.ahaparenting.com/parenting-tools/positive-discipline/use-positive-discipline

• Options
    SMH. GBCB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    imageMarSamWhitney:
    What does this mean?
  • Options

imageMrsLynnyD:
    imageMarSamWhitney:
    What does this mean?

Allow me to translate for you: Shaking my head, Good Bye Cruel Bump.  Big Smile

Siggy Badges

• Options
    imageRouensDream:

imageMrsLynnyD:
    imageMarSamWhitney:
    What does this mean?

Pretty funny.  

Siggy Badges

• Options
    imageRouensDream:
    imageRouensDream:

imageMrsLynnyD:
    imageMarSamWhitney:
    What does this mean?

Pretty funny.  

I knew GBCB (not SMH) buy why is MSW saying this? I'm clearly missing something here.
  • Options
    we try our best to keep a straight face (omg impossible some times).  We usually don't hug her right away and give her a minute or two to calm down. Then hug. Or put in time out and hug her when she comes out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"