Baby Names

What do you think of when you hear this name?

Emmett

I know at least one of you (I can't remember your name!) hates this name and has asked me to please not use it, lol. But it's a name my DH and I keep coming back to. I could use some feedback to help me sort out how I really feel. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I don't. Help! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What do you think of when you hear this name?

• I don't mind it at all. I think of the famous football player I used to have a crush on.
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • I think of a friend of mine's husband.

I don't find it bad at all.  I can't see the reason to absolutely hate it unless you are associating it with someone you don't like.

FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family Bravado Bras at NurturedFamily.com Maya Wrap Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • Loading the player...
  • salt78salt78 member
    Twilight. I do like the name though.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • an old man
  • TheWopTheWop member

imagemagsugar13:
    an old man

I think of an old man that's missing teeth and wearing overalls. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think it is cute.  Although, it makes me think of Doc from Back to the Future...  I believe his name was Emmett which you never really heard a lot until BTTF III.  I am a dork...

image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CTA7CTA7 member

Emmett Till, Emmett Smith, Twilight...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    12/1/11 BFP, missed m/c diagnosed @ 9w2d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I really like the name! I think of the Dallas Cowboys and also the vampire from Twilight. I think it's a great name!
  • I like it. I know a very cute baby Emmett so I think of him. 0
  • imageJoy2611:

Country bumpkin.

This made me laugh so hard just because I can't even remember the last time I heard that! 

DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • imageJoy2611:

Country bumpkin.

Sorry, I seriously don't understand the appeal of this name.  

EDIT: oh man - it was probably me who said don't use it.  Haha.  Sorry!  But, it's one of those names that gets a lot of love here and I just sit scratching my head.

Yea, it was totally you. That's ok though :)  

edit: also, I understand where you are coming from. I loathe the name Declan, but people on here love it!  

•  Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas-used to watch that movie every Christmas! :)

Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas Poster

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Back to the Future!  But I think Emmet is pretty cute.

• imageJoy2611:

Country bumpkin.

Sorry, I seriously don't understand the appeal of this name.  

EDIT: oh man - it was probably me who said don't use it.  Haha.  Sorry!  But, it's one of those names that gets a lot of love here and I just sit scratching my head.

I'm with Joy on the hatred of this name; although, I don't think country bumpkin.  

I can't understand the appeal of this name whatsoever.   

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Preppy, football team captain, country club, snooty. Not sure why but these are the things that come to my mind.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think of a football player!  If that's a name that you and DH are leaning towards, don't let anyone deter you ;)!

• imagernfromtn:

I think it is cute.  Although, it makes me think of Doc from Back to the Future.

This. Doc Brown in back to the future 3.  

• imagejenwill:

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas-used to watch that movie every Christmas! :)

I just bought this on DVD!!!

I think of the Otter and of Twilight.

• imagejenwill:

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas-used to watch that movie every Christmas! :)

Exactly this!!!!  I show it to my students at Christmas time sometimes.  I like the name Emmett.

• I LOVE IT.  I want to badly to name a son Emmett if I have one! GO FOR IT! What are you looking at for a middle?
  • 1st thought is the Twilight character.

2nd thought is Emmett Smith the former Cowboy football player.

Those are the only 2 associations I have with it.

I also generally think it sounds trendy.

• imageKarlieeAnne:
    I LOVE IT.  I want to badly to name a son Emmett if I have one! GO FOR IT! What are you looking at for a middle?

My grandfather's name was Turner,so we are thinking about that as a middle.  

• Emmett Smith.  I personally like the name!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sagoonsagoon member
    Emmett Smith and the Twilight character come to mind but they're not overwhelming associations with the name.  It's an inoffensive, ordinary name in my opinion.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Another for Back to the Future!

I like it and disagree with a PP that said it was trendy, no way. I don't get the appeal of Henry and Oliver which are board favorites, so not everyone will love everything, these are all strong, masculine names.  

• I don't think it's a bad name, I just think of Emmett Otter and Emmett Smith!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• A football player.

DS has a kid in his play group with this name. His mom is the biggest tool. 

• imageCTA7:

Emmett Till, Emmett Smith, Twilight...

This. 

• I love this name. The first thing I thought of was Twilight.

• I think of a small town in Idaho. Then I think of Back to the Future.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • 1.  Twilight

2.  Emmett Smith

DH wanted Emmett for our DS.  I like it, but I couldn't get past Emmett Smith.   

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• imageled2009:
    Preppy, football team captain, country club, snooty. Not sure why but these are the things that come to my mind.

This, I REALLY don't understand the old-man or country bumpkin associations.

I don't love the name, but I definitely don't think it's country bumpkin or old-man. I associate it with names like Owen, Evan, Everett, Wyatt, etc. They just seem bland to me, but they definitely don't scream old-man or country bumpkin, IMO. 

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • I think of a big strong Irish guy.. I like it
  • I like it.

I have never read the Twighlight books or have seen the movies, so I would never have known about that association, nor am I a sports fan so wouldnt have thought of Emmett Smith either.

The only time I have heard it really is on a ABC Family sitcom Switched at Birth.  There was a deaf character named Emmett. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    'Til He returns, or calls me home,
    Here in the power of Christ I stand.
  • imageJoy2611:
    imagemagpie1127:

imageled2009:
    Preppy, football team captain, country club, snooty. Not sure why but these are the things that come to my mind.

This, I REALLY don't understand the old-man or country bumpkin associations.

I don't love the name, but I definitely don't think it's country bumpkin or old-man. I associate it with names like Owen, Evan, Everett, Wyatt, etc. They just seem bland to me, but they definitely don't scream old-man or country bumpkin, IMO. 

Hehee... it just sounds really country to me.

I picture a guy in a red plaid shirt and overalls with a piece of hay in his mouth.  He's point to his son and saying "This here is my son.  He'll show ya how to shoot."

I can't shake it.  I don't get preppy out of it all. 

But, I think it's really about where you first heard the name - it colors of a lot of impressions.

HAHAHAHA, I love your description!

Yes, I'm sure a lot of it has to do with where you first heard the name!

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • I think of my parents'  friend who recently passed away.  He was a professor, led the fight for disability equality and was absolutely brilliant.  I love it.

• I think of Twilight. I also think of a preppy football player. I like it!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Twilight. I'm meh about it in that I don't have strong feelings either way. Emmett Turner is nice.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Twilight, Back to the Future, an old fashioned traditional values kind of guy name
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think Emmett sounds very smart, personally.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"